Hearing aids in a classroom

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So let me see if I got this straight. Mother gets her hearing impaired child an IEP that he's completely entitled to under disability education law, and she's "seeking attention" because he uses hearing aids. But if she didn't get an IEP and he struggled in the classroom I bet you'd all be saying well why don't you advocate for your child. You bitches truly be crazy.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Precisely.
Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm So let me see if I got this straight. Mother gets her hearing impaired child an IEP that he's completely entitled to under disability education law, and she's "seeking attention" because he uses hearing aids. But if she didn't get an IEP and he struggled in the classroom I bet you'd all be saying well why don't you advocate for your child. You bitches truly be crazy.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:40 pm
MrsDavidB wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:35 pm

An IEP that you initiated-yes?
No, one that his teacher initiated. I can not believe how full of yourself you are acting right now.
Ok. I was just trying to give you some tips.
No, you weren't. Tips would be "a, b, and c worked really well for my son, have you tried them with yours? Do you think they would help?" Instead you have stated that I am just trying to make a big scene, have stated that my son's iep is not needed and is all about me, and have told me what I "need" to do in terms of my son's accommodations even though you have no clue of my son's needs, but you have decided that you know better than his parents, doctors, and teachers. His IEP has nothing to do with his classmates, they have no way of knowing about it, so it is not in any way connected to this post.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm So let me see if I got this straight. Mother gets her hearing impaired child an IEP that he's completely entitled to under disability education law, and she's "seeking attention" because he uses hearing aids. But if she didn't get an IEP and he struggled in the classroom I bet you'd all be saying well why don't you advocate for your child. You bitches truly be crazy.
I am blown away that her posts are coming from someone who claims to have a child with hearing impairments. She has really proven that any post I make, she will argue that I am wrong and make it about me, no matter what the topic is. She has no boundaries.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 pm My kid is talkative and friendly. She wouldn’t think anything was wrong with asking the new kid about his hearing aids. A general lesson about differing abilities would likely go right over her head, and she wouldn’t realize they were talking about her new friend. A more blunt approach will keep her questions to me or the teacher.
What do you mean by "a more blunt approach?"
For my kid to understand that your kid doesn’t want questions, my kid would need a lesson about either hearing aids or your son. If you lump all differing abilities together, my kid will not understand that your son, specifically, does not wish to answer questions.

The “lesson” wouldn’t need to be more than a couple of sentences, but she needs actual directions to follow. She won’t realize that the vague, fictional character with a vague, fictional disability from a lesson is actually the exciting new friend she wants to get to know.

Would your son be comfortable with the discussion happening without him? He could be sent to the library or take attendance sheets to the office, if something like that would help. (My guess: no, he doesn’t want it to happen at all.)

Does your son realize that if they don’t discuss “what makes him different” that kids will ask him about it? Is he prepared to deal with that? If your son told my dd, “I don’t like to talk about it,” my dd would say sorry and change the subject.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would ask the teacher nicely not to do that. I get it, my dd is blind in one eye and doesn’t like attention brought to it either. I simply make the teacher aware at the beginning of each year and they make adjustments (like where her seat is) as necessary. None of them have ever felt the need to have a lesson on it.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:56 pm
I am blown away that her posts are coming from someone who claims to have a child with hearing impairments. She has really proven that any post I make, she will argue that I am wrong and make it about me, no matter what the topic is. She has no boundaries.
The IEP doesn't even pertain since you didn't ask about it. What you asked about was how to handle what the teacher wants to do. I would teach my son that answering questions about his hearing aids is no big deal. Kids will ask and that's fine. They're just curious. But neither should he do what he doesn't want to do. If she wants to have a simple lesson about disabilities by all means but there isn't any reason to single your son out.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I think your son needs to get over it. He has something different about him and the teacher wants others to understand it. How are others supposed to learn if they are not allowed to ask questions? Both of you need to grow up
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Seriously?

That's ridiculous. No need to make a huge production in front of everyone about it.

He's not a quadriplegic in a wheelchair.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

The child is still going to be asked questions. It would have been better to just keep it a private matter between the teacher and you all, since he doesn't want to answer questions or talk about it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic