Massage question

Anonymous 1

Unread post

So I started massage therapy today to help my pinched sciatic nerve. Now instead of the relaxed feeling, my lower back is very tender and sore, almost like its bruised. Is that normal? This sucks.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Where is your sciatica nerve located?
Are you one of 10% of the population where it runs through the piriformis muscle?
Was it a full massage or spot massage?
What type of massage was it? Swedish, deep tissue, rolfing?
Did you communicate with your therapist on the pressure level?
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes it is normal to be tender, especially if you aren't massaged regularly. Also, I recommend Chiropractic treatment in addition. Best!
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Take it easy, and drink lots of water. Its weird, I know, but massages can make you sore at first when you aren't used to it. I'd also look into chiropractic care, as someone else suggested.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Go to a chiropractor instead. They work miracles on sciatic pain.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

And I would warn you against going to a chiropractor unless he or she is a licensed medical doctor. Instead get a recommendation from a doctor for physical therapy. Massage therapy, especially grastoning, will result in some bruising. Make sure to speak up is the massage pressure feels too great.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

If you had tight muscles and had a myofascial release, yeah you can be sore afterward. Go to amazon and order a couple tubes of Natri Bio's Arnica Rub and apply to your sore areas at least twice a day. It will help with the pain and relieve the soreness. I was able to recover from a frozen shoulder in a few weeks using their Arnica Rub twice a day all over my shoulder from the shoulder blade down to my wrist, where ever I felt pain.

Are you doing any exercises for your sciatica?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Conweis wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:35 pm Where is your sciatica nerve located?
Are you one of 10% of the population where it runs through the piriformis muscle?
Was it a full massage or spot massage?
What type of massage was it? Swedish, deep tissue, rolfing?
Did you communicate with your therapist on the pressure level?
Yes Im the 10%. It was a full back and leg massage. I am not sure of type? Yes I communicated but she didnt listen very well. Id tell her it was too much pressure and she'd stop for a few then go right back. Im booked with a different one the rest of my schedule. She was a fill in from another office location.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

lunarprancer wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:39 pm Yes it is normal to be tender, especially if you aren't massaged regularly. Also, I recommend Chiropractic treatment in addition. Best!
Yeah I have an amazing Chiropractor. Hes really good at my adjustments without leaving me aching or in more pain.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:06 pm And I would warn you against going to a chiropractor unless he or she is a licensed medical doctor. Instead get a recommendation from a doctor for physical therapy. Massage therapy, especially grastoning, will result in some bruising. Make sure to speak up is the massage pressure feels too great.
My Chiropractor is a medical dr. Well technically hes a DO. Still a licenced doctor that went to med school. Physical therapy is part of my treatment plan.
Locked Previous topicNext topic