The soda habit

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:13 pm I don’t usually buy soda for the house unless we are entertaining. On average they maybe have a glass a couple times a month when we go out to dinner.

What else do they drink daily and how old are they?
Fruit juice and milk are favorites too, and they drink water of course. They're 8, 10 and 13, all girls.
I think cutting down to 1 can a day is a good start. If you want to reduce more of course you can.

We haven’t always been a primarily soda free household. Dh was an extremely high soda drinker, we realized the kids were starting to drink soda more often than on the occasional bass, and Dh was concerned because I don’t like regular soda and would drink diet only. So we started by reducing our purchase of soda in half then gradually worked it even further down. With it not kept in the house, it’s easier to reduce our intake. The sugar wasn’t the only reason we cut it for the kids. Even though there’s less caffeine in an 8oz can of soda vs a cup of coffee, the body starts building a tolerance and starts developing caffeine addiction. The phosphoric acid interferes with calcium absorption as well as slows the digestive system which also causes poor absorption of other nutrients. These are just a few of the reasons we changed our soda habit.

Good luck:)
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

When they were younger I allowed them one soda per week, which they usually picked Saturday to have. Now I don't monitor it. We have it in the fridge occasionally. I usually buy diet for myself when I get it so they aren't interested in that.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It's always been zero. Just recently i let them have a soda with their meal at a pizza buffet restaurant. They are 10 and 11. That was the first time I personally gave them soda. They have had it a handful of other times when they were with my parents or their dad gave them a sip of his.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

I don't buy it at all.
They get it with their own money.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

I rarely buy it. Usually for a get together or something. My kids aren’t real big fans. They do like the sparkling water. I buy that.

There is a lot of sugar and calories in soda. We prefer to get our calories from food.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t keep it in the house. My kids are allowed to have it when we go out to eat or as a special treat.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

One a day at the most... We keep it around, but they are not allowed more than one per day. Some days they don't have any.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

We have pop in the house but my kids don't drink much of it. They would rather have lemonade or tea or cold water.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I only buy diet and the Sparkling ice. I normally don't buy regular soda but I do allow my kids to drink it if we eat out.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

It's amazing how much weight you can lose just by cutting that out of your diet! If people only knew and had the willpower to do it! Thankfully, I've never been much of a soda fan.

That's also interesting that you noticed that your immune system was better once you stopped drinking it. I had never heard of that. Glad you feel better! :)

Anonymous 9 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:43 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 pm If you want to put weight on easily, drink soda...lots of it...daily.
My sister would drink a soda a day. When she quit drinking it she lost 35lbs in 4 months. Its significant in a lot of people's weight and health issues. My immune system was a lot better once I stopped drinking it. I haven't been sick once in 5 years.
Locked Previous topicNext topic