The soda habit

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They're over weight and youlet them have 2 cans a day? Look at how much sugar is in each can. Then they have that later in the evening? That's just storing away converting into fat. And you're critical of a mother whodoesn't lether kids have any? She's absolutely right. Nobody needs to take in that much sugar in a beverage.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 16

Unread post

Water, seltzer, fruit infused water, small amounts of milk/juice/soda.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am
Anonymous 16 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am In this world. I believe it’s 10g per cup, if I recall correctly.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:04 am

Eh? I what world does milk have a lot of sugar? I know fruit juice is a little sugary, but it's healthy in other ways.
Man, why is everything so unhealthy? What can they drink then, just water? That's so boring.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 16 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm Soda, fruit juice and milk are all loaded with sugar. Are you trolling?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am

Fruit juice and milk are favorites too, and they drink water of course. They're 8, 10 and 13, all girls.
Eh? I what world does milk have a lot of sugar? I know fruit juice is a little sugary, but it's healthy in other ways.
You have to be trolling based on this comment, or illiterate that you can't read simple labels. Bored because the kids are back in school?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Your idea of reducing it to one a day is excellent. You don't want soda to become the forbidden fruit. You can gradually introduce alternatives to the high sugar soda. My daughter loves water with lemon slices or True Lemon.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

OP, you need to just start reading labels. Educate yourself. Look at these. The 100% juice apple juice has 28g sugar per 8oz juice. The Coca Cola has 43g sugar per 12oz can. If you do the math to compare, 12oz of apple juice has 42g sugar. Essentially the same as the soda.

Even Sweet Tea (this image is Gold Peak Sweet Tea) has 32g per 12oz of tea. Better but not by a lot.

I mentioned Hawaiian Punch in an earlier response. It has 17g sugar per 8oz which calculates to 25.5g per 12oz. It's still sugar but we are getting better than all the above stuff.

You asked what they can drink besides water? Do they like tea at all? I've gone to unsweetened tea which has no sugar at all. If they don't have a taste for that, Gold Peak makes a Slighly Sweet Tea which has half the sugar of their sweet tea. It is 16g sugar per 12oz so not too bad. And when they get used to that maybe they'll then be fine with trying the Unsweetened Tea. Someone else gave you other suggestions as well. There are things out there to try, you just have to look. Read the labels. That's what they are there for.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 am
jocarpenter101 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 am

Do you think even one a day is that much? It's not that unhealthy, right?
I think that's a lot for a kid.
I guess. I do think it's possible to be too cautious about this sort of thing though.
They are children. I do not see any negative result that could come from them not having daily sodas. We never had soda in the house when I was a kid. Didn't hurt me.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am
Anonymous 16 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am In this world. I believe it’s 10g per cup, if I recall correctly.

Man, why is everything so unhealthy? What can they drink then, just water? That's so boring.
That’s what I’ve done for several years. I drink water all day . Tap water. You get used to it.
Now if I occasionally drink coke at a party or at fast food , I feel kind of sick from the bubbles , and of course , the sugar.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:01 am
jocarpenter101 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 am

Do you think even one a day is that much? It's not that unhealthy, right?
I think that's a lot for a kid.
I guess. I do think it's possible to be too cautious about this sort of thing though.
The guideline for kids under 18 is no more than 25 grams of sugar per day, and that sugary drinks should be limited to 8oz/week. I can't claim that my kids always stay within that guideline, but a whole 12 oz soda per day is definitely too much.

When I buy soda for the kids, I usually get the little 6 oz cans.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is an ongoing fight with DH. He lets DS have whatever he wants when it comes to food and drink. I rarely let him have pop and if I do it’s Sprite. Caffeine makes him nuts.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am They're over weight and youlet them have 2 cans a day? Look at how much sugar is in each can. Then they have that later in the evening? That's just storing away converting into fat. And you're critical of a mother whodoesn't lether kids have any? She's absolutely right. Nobody needs to take in that much sugar in a beverage.
I guess I never really properly looked at the labels before. I always knew soda had a lot of sugar in it, but never realized that it's quite so much. Their weight problems now make a lot more sense to me...
Locked Previous topicNext topic