Bigger families, when did you start getting the comments?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

When I had three kids, I never got comments. When I got four I would get the occasional "they must keep you busy." Now that I have five, it seems like everywhere I go I get at least one "Wow! Are they all yours?" I don't care, it just seems interesting to me how shocking people find one more kid to be. I even went to a museum on a family pass and the person at the desk really questioned if they were all mine and tried to make me pay extra for some of them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I only have 2 but I used to get comments all of the time when I had 6 with me. I walked in a store when ds was like 6 months old (and I was 23) with the 6 of them and the guys jaw dropped and asked if I was done having kids yet. I just smiled and said no. My brother in law was 12 at this point so he really must have thought I was crazy.
I know a lot of families with 6 kids. As long as they don't expect special treatment because of it I don't care.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I married a widower with 3 children then went on to have my own I was getting unsolicited comments with my 3rd.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I sometimes get comments because I have one.
JulesFairy
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I get it when I have three or more with me. I only have two of my own, but as the only stay at home mom in a crew of 4 families, 2 of which were dual military, with kids around my girls age, I frequently had other kids with me when I went out. It seemed strange to me that people commented on three kids.
hugs
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You're very lucky to have your kids .. like you said .. who cares what others say.
All are blessings ;)
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I get it all the time. My SO had three and one on the way (didn't know about) when we met. People would give me the weirdest comments when I had these little kids calling me mom. When I had the six together people would stop me to ask if I knew how kids were made.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I see women with 4 kids under the age of 9 or 10 and I think how lucky I am with just one kid. I'd never make any comments out loud to the family. That would be rude.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I got comments when I had my third. Everyone assumed he was an oops baby. He took us years to have. Now I get comments asking whose kids the older ones our. They can figure out that all four are ours.

Four kids that is a lot. You need a mini van now. That's why I stopped at 3. Do the older ones raise the younger ones?

Four doesn't seem like a lot of kids to me. maybe 7 or 8.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I make friendly banter sometimes to any mama with more than one young child, who seems close in age. Like my neighbors has 3 little ones, and I was like "got your hands full". And then I make comments if you have four or more. Are you upset by those type of comments? I don't understand why anyone would be irritated by that. It's simply a observation, that children are a ton of work! I never say anything like "you know how that happens" though...as I figure any parent understands procreation, LOL.

People make frequent comments to me, mostly at work, because I have 3, which is not as common for professional working moms, most only have 1 or 2.
Locked Previous topicNext topic