Bigger families, when did you start getting the comments?

QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I started getting comments after 2. I now have 5. The funniest thing happened when we were back home. My oldest who is 24 got chewed out at the local Kroger because he was just too young to have an 11 yo. The 11 yo was my 3rd son and basically oldest soN's mini-me. I mostly get comments about the age difference now.

I literally have one child getting his Masters,another in HS,one in middle school,one in elementary school and one not even old enough for pre school
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm I see women with 4 kids under the age of 9 or 10 and I think how lucky I am with just one kid. I'd never make any comments out loud to the family. That would be rude.
I have five kids under nine, I don't see how you are "lucky." It's a preference, no one is more or less lucky.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:17 pm I make friendly banter sometimes to any mama with more than one young child, who seems close in age. Like my neighbors has 3 little ones, and I was like "got your hands full". And then I make comments if you have four or more. Are you upset by those type of comments? I don't understand why anyone would be irritated by that. It's simply a observation, that children are a ton of work! I never say anything like "you know how that happens" though...as I figure any parent understands procreation, LOL.

People make frequent comments to me, mostly at work, because I have 3, which is not as common for professional working moms, most only have 1 or 2.
I'm not saying it's irritating, it just gets old. Yeah, I have more than the average 2.5 kids, I am aware, not every stranger needs to point it out. I don't care and dwell on it, I just kind of internally roll my eyes.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:17 pm I make friendly banter sometimes to any mama with more than one young child, who seems close in age. Like my neighbors has 3 little ones, and I was like "got your hands full". And then I make comments if you have four or more. Are you upset by those type of comments? I don't understand why anyone would be irritated by that. It's simply a observation, that children are a ton of work! I never say anything like "you know how that happens" though...as I figure any parent understands procreation, LOL.

People make frequent comments to me, mostly at work, because I have 3, which is not as common for professional working moms, most only have 1 or 2.
I'm not saying it's irritating, it just gets old. Yeah, I have more than the average 2.5 kids, I am aware, not every stranger needs to point it out. I don't care and dwell on it, I just kind of internally roll my eyes.
Lol, to me, it’d be like internally rolling your eyes every time someone makes small talk about your day or weather. It’s just what people do to be friendly *shrugs*
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think it's because family sizes are smaller now, so 5 kids isn't as common as it was 50 years ago. If I'm somewhere and I'm just being chatty in line I might say "holy cow you must be busy/have a lot of patience", which I mean as a compliment because that's a lot to manage. I couldn't do it. I've never thought it would be anything offensive. It seems like a pretty innocuous topic.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I only have three but in L.A. I used to get comments all the time like “ are you catholic “?

I didn’t realize why for a long time before I realized... oh. They’re asking if I believe in birth control.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Lol, to me, it’d be like internally rolling your eyes every time someone makes small talk about your day or weather. It’s just what people do to be friendly *shrugs*
Bringing up the weather, which is a mutual experience that doesn't specifically apply to a person, is different than making comments on how many children I have. It would be like if I looked at someone's one child and said "wow, you must get really bored" or "don't want to have more?" In front of that child.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You have kids that are 20 years apart??? 😳
QuantumNursing wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm I started getting comments after 2. I now have 5. The funniest thing happened when we were back home. My oldest who is 24 got chewed out at the local Kroger because he was just too young to have an 11 yo. The 11 yo was my 3rd son and basically oldest soN's mini-me. I mostly get comments about the age difference now.

I literally have one child getting his Masters,another in HS,one in middle school,one in elementary school and one not even old enough for pre school
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Bringing up the weather, which is a mutual experience that doesn't specifically apply to a person, is different than making comments on how many children I have. It would be like if I looked at someone's one child and said "wow, you must get really bored" or "don't want to have more?" In front of that child.
I don't think those analogies are even accurate, as they aren't really true or maybe I am just not that sensitive to my family size. I have never felt annoyed when someone acknowledges how busy or how full my hands are as a parent of 3, in front of my children. Because it is true, and if you are are a good mom, and I am sure you are, you are really F***ing busy and have your hands full too. So, if anything it demonstrates understanding. ;)
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm I see women with 4 kids under the age of 9 or 10 and I think how lucky I am with just one kid. I'd never make any comments out loud to the family. That would be rude.
I have five kids under nine, I don't see how you are "lucky." It's a preference, no one is more or less lucky.
I grew up with 3 other siblings. I know the chaos and drama of having multiple kids. I'm thrilled and happy with just one kid. Hell, I was one and done when I was pregnant with her. No desire for more than one.
Locked Previous topicNext topic