Restaurant that doesn't allow children

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We have one here in our city. It's had the rule for a very long time and it's well-known here in the area.

Anyway, DH and I had dinner Saturday night at this restaurant and as we were walking in, we caught the tail end of a conversation between an employee of the restaurant and the parents of two very young children who looked to be maybe 4 and 6. They were basically being turned away at the door because the restaurant doesn't allow children. During the maybe two minutes left of their conversation that we saw, the kids were both hanging by their parents' arms/hands and trying to crawl up Mom and Dad's legs with their own legs, one tossed her sippy cup down on the floor of the lobby area where they were and the other, when picked up by mom, just went limp in her arms and started yelling to be put down. All this while the parents had obviously been arguing and if course, asked for the manager.

This is why we go there. Stuff like that stops at the door and we get to go in and enjoy a "grown people" atmosphere. There's usually live jazz/blues music, good food and drinks, dress code and generally just has a more mature vibe to it.

Would you make a scene if your children were turned away at a restaurant because it didn't allow any children at all?
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sounds like a good spot to go and hang out.

I suspect they just wanted to feed their hungry children so I find no pleasure in that part of the story.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It seems like it is well known the place doesn't allow kids? I would even support them if it was only certain hours like dinner...I wouldn't make a scene I would jut go else where. My kids are older anyways so it wouldn't be a big deal

I do think if kids can be banned then all these silly "service' dogs and ESA dogs can be as well. That is a whole different debate though because we all know so many "service" dogs are not actually trained service dogs.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No. It is their business, they decide if kids are allowed. I get disappointed because it ruins it for the kids who know how to behave, but I understand it and don't argue.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

What's the minimum age requirement to dine there?
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm We have one here in our city. It's had the rule for a very long time and it's well-known here in the area.

Anyway, DH and I had dinner Saturday night at this restaurant and as we were walking in, we caught the tail end of a conversation between an employee of the restaurant and the parents of two very young children who looked to be maybe 4 and 6. They were basically being turned away at the door because the restaurant doesn't allow children. During the maybe two minutes left of their conversation that we saw, the kids were both hanging by their parents' arms/hands and trying to crawl up Mom and Dad's legs with their own legs, one tossed her sippy cup down on the floor of the lobby area where they were and the other, when picked up by mom, just went limp in her arms and started yelling to be put down. All this while the parents had obviously been arguing and if course, asked for the manager.

This is why we go there. Stuff like that stops at the door and we get to go in and enjoy a "grown people" atmosphere. There's usually live jazz/blues music, good food and drinks, dress code and generally just has a more mature vibe to it.

Would you make a scene if your children were turned away at a restaurant because it didn't allow any children at all?
It’s a good idea to have a restaurant for adults only because nowadays too many parents let their kids have meltdowns in public , then stay anyway, and expect everyone to put up with it.
You shouldn’t have to.

Our kids (and most kids) were calm
and well behaved in public ( they were born in 1967-1971) If one or more were looking fussy and we suspected they would have a hissy fit, we would leave ( I can only think of one time that happened and it was due to one kid being very tired...it’s always a bad idea to take a tired kid out in public)
Kids learn to be good if you explain that their behavior is unacceptable.( we didn’t spank- we talked with them or removed them from the situation)
Foreverme123
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

DH and I go to more than one place that either doesn't allow children or doesn't allow them after a certain hour. It's one of the main things that attracted us to them in the first place. Our children are older and we're just not interested in kid friendly places. We go for adult time, intimate dinners, etc.

I don't care how perfectly behaved your little Jaxsyn is. There are a million other little gremlins with apathetic parents who let them squeal, yell and run amok. And, no, they're not so adorable that we all just melt like butter at their cuteness.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We go to a neighborhood place that doesn't allow children. I must say it's really nice ..the atmosphere is very quiet and relaxed..
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:55 pm What's the minimum age requirement to dine there?
It's 18+.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm It seems like it is well known the place doesn't allow kids? I would even support them if it was only certain hours like dinner...I wouldn't make a scene I would jut go else where. My kids are older anyways so it wouldn't be a big deal

I do think if kids can be banned then all these silly "service' dogs and ESA dogs can be as well. That is a whole different debate though because we all know so many "service" dogs are not actually trained service dogs.
While I agree that some service animals are not service animals that it would be horrible to ban service and support dogs. Many people actually need these animals. Not to mention the fact that it would be highly illegal
Locked Previous topicNext topic