Can a 15 year old seek medical care

Anonymous 1

Unread post

On her own? My 15 year old niece just told me she has been coughing up blood for months and her mom just says its because she doesn't use her oils regularly. I've almost had to drive her to the er because she was having a hard time breathing but I didn't know it had progressed to this.
So does she have the right to seek medical care by herself at this point? Or can I seek it for her? I'm in California. And yes my sil sucks as a person I wish I could say this is the worst thing my niece is dealing with right now but its definitely the most important. If I had another room I would take her in in an instant. But if she gets taken from mom she will likely get placed with child molester grandpa so that's not an option either.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

She can absolutely walk into an ER and explain her reason for being there. Of course they will ask about her parents/guardians whereabouts, and cps may even get involved, but they will help her.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I don't know. MY 17yo who was off to college could not get a meningitis shot on his own. They needed a parent with him. So that was my experience.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think she might need a parent. I’m not sure she could consent to treatment and sign any necessary paperwork. As above poster commented if she goes in w/o CPS May get involved.

No way you can get through to the mother that she needs to see a doctor?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

She is a minor and as such she cannot fill out any paperwork and have it be legal and binding. All documentation must be signed by a parent/guardian. I'm not sure they would treat her until she is 18 on her own for that. Since she is coughing up blood, it is fairly serious and parental consent would probably be needed for testing.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk but I'd tell sil look here you take her, the doctor pronto, let me take her, or expect to see CPS at your door. You choose. That shit is ridiculous.
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Id be calling CPS and figuring out how to make room for her. And I would take her to the ER asap
Beachbrat
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

And you keep saying your sil is shit..... But where is your brother (or hubbys brother)? Why is he not stepping in and helping his daughter
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It is legal in every state to provide emergency medical care to a minor without parental consent. Minors may consent to emergency care if they have the capacity to do so. However, assent for emergency care is no more required than is parental permission
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Have her call an ambulance at a friends house. The ambulance has to treat her as long as she does not refuse. Once arriving to the hospital via ambulance they will treat her and deal with the logistics after. If she has been treated at a local hospital before they will have her insurance information on file. If she has no insurance they will still treat her.
Locked Previous topicNext topic