The silent treatment isn't always bad

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I just had this discussion with someone earlier. She thinks its terrible that on the rare occasion dh and I disagree I always give him the silent treatment. The thing is I'm not a social person and I tend to retreat into myself when anything gets uncomfortable. So I'll go off by myself and yes I don't speak to dh. But the thing is dh and I have discussed this. He knows that when I retreat like that its because I need to gather my thoughts so we can straighten it out. I'd say the longest I have given him the silent treatment is an hour. And yes sometimes I realize I was overreacting or wrong and just go back and apologize. Sometimes he realizes he was wrong and comes and apologizes to me. And sometimes it just gives us both some time to figure out how to better Express what we are trying to say.
I mean it always helps us work it out so is it really a bad thing?
Btw this has happened maybe 5 times in our 20 years together. It's not common at all.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That sounds more like just cooling off than the silent treatment.

But whatever works for you..
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't see the problem.

Much better than screaming at each other.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Nothing wrong with a cooling off period. I think it’s a beneficial tool. To me silent treatment is days of not speaking.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

1 hour? Shit I have been mad for days before and don't say anything. 1 hour is not the silent treatment LOL.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

An hour, pfffff, i’ve maintained silent hostility for days. I would roll my eyes t a friend like that and tease the hell out of her smug, judgement.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That's NOT the Silent Treatment.
The Silent Treatment is when you don't speak to or acknowledge their presence for days and weeks at time.
I should know, I invent the concept lol
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

For an hour? Nah - that's cooling down before saying something you'd regret.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm saying. But then I guess that's why this person I was talking to is divorced and I've been with dh for 20 years.
I couldn't go days without talking to him.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That makes a lot more sense than saying something in the heat of the moment that you can't take back.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic