The silent treatment isn't always bad

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree I've cooled off with my kids before I say things I'll regret. My ex used to have a problem if I said I wanted to be left alone. I'd just get angrier. To me silent treatment is a passive aggressive weapon meant to punish your spouse or child. I hate that.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I think there's nothing wrong with a 1-hour cooling off period. I thought you were going to say that your silent treatments last for days. I think you're good to go! :)
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Giving yourself a time-out to calm down is not the silent treatment.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My mother would give us kids the silent treatment that would last a week or two. She would not talk to us at all. That's too long. If you're doing that, you should stop. If I get mad enough, I'm not going to talk either for a few hours. If I'm still mad the next morning I at least acknowledge him by saying 'good morning'. But you should definitely try to talk over the subject of the argument at least by the next day or day after.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 pm My mother would give us kids the silent treatment that would last a week or two. She would not talk to us at all. That's too long. If you're doing that, you should stop. If I get mad enough, I'm not going to talk either for a few hours. If I'm still mad the next morning I at least acknowledge him by saying 'good morning'. But you should definitely try to talk over the subject of the argument at least by the next day or day after.
It only lasts an hour not even overnight. And never to my kids either.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:03 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 pm My mother would give us kids the silent treatment that would last a week or two. She would not talk to us at all. That's too long. If you're doing that, you should stop. If I get mad enough, I'm not going to talk either for a few hours. If I'm still mad the next morning I at least acknowledge him by saying 'good morning'. But you should definitely try to talk over the subject of the argument at least by the next day or day after.
It only lasts an hour not even overnight. And never to my kids either.
Then I wouldn't worry about it.
Shell7m
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I go quiet too when I'm really upset. It's better than yelling and saying something you can't take back.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

This isn’t the silent treatment at all. It’s only cooling off. My ex could go days and weeks without speaking a word to me just dirty looks for simple minor things. That’s a silent treatment. A punishment meant to control my behavior and get the upper hand.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:05 am I don't see the problem.

Much better than screaming at each other.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That isn't the silent treatment. An hour? No, that's a cooling down period. The silent treatment is when you refuse to speak for days or even longer. Personally, I think it's healthier to take an hour or two of quiet to think things through than keep screaming at each other going in circles.
Locked Previous topicNext topic