Dangers of antidepressants

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That was called an intrusive thought and yourr doctor should have told you they were a possible side effect and to call if you experienced anything like that. When beginning an antidepressant there are some side effects (for some people intrusive thoughts) that disappear after a couple months - they don't mean you necessarily need to stop taking the medication.

This post needs to be called "the dangers of medical professionals/pharmacists/patients not doing their due diligence". Your doctor should have told you and your pharmacist should have given you a print out on your medication which you should have read.

My children and I have been on countless different antidepressants and antipsychotics. Some work great for one person and terrible for another but they aren't dangerous unless you don't know what the side effects are going to be so you can keep an eye out for them.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Danesmommy1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm Please... Anecdotal evidence of your stray thought hardly holds up. Anti depressants have literally saved my life time and time again for 20+ years.
It's not just anecdotal... It's a problem for many people who take them.

It's great that they work for you, but there are dangerous side effects associated with them as well that people should know about.

This does not just happen to her.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:39 pm
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 pm Please retitle as "dangers of making medical decisions based on random, non-evidence based anecdotes from anonymous strangers online."
What are you talking about?
Are you that dim?
She is not telling anyone to do anything... She's discussing a side effect of the medication that has been well documented, and happened to her.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Without a doubt, you should be in touch with your prescribing doctor as well as the pharmacy.

No, antidepressants are not dangerous for all and in fact, have benefited many. It sounds like perhaps the one you've been on is simply not the right one for you. Are you taking other prescribed meds (for anything else) and/or OTC meds routinely?

Our youngest daughter began taking 20mg a day of Buspirone, which she took for anxiety, and she was wise enough to notice the changes in her temperament (as did we) immediately.

She began weaning herself slowly off of them and no longer takes them.

However, Buspirone has been known to be effective and helpful for others. So again, it's all individual.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm What medication was it?
Generic wellbutrin.
It gave me this something stuck in my throat feeling as well as a mild but incessant headache. Blurred vision at times.
That was extremely stupid. You should never discontinue Wellbutrin abruptly unless you have a seizure. It can actually be deadly.

Parents should not be this irresponsible. You were lucky
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 pm You should have contacted the doctor that prescribed the meds immediately.
It takes time to get the right meds or combination of meds to help treat you.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am
Danesmommy1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm Please... Anecdotal evidence of your stray thought hardly holds up. Anti depressants have literally saved my life time and time again for 20+ years.

It's great that they work for you, but there are dangerous side effects associated with them as well that people should know about.

Ok, if it's not a stray thought, but a side effect, she still mishandled the situation. Abruptly stopping meds is dangerous, she should have called her doctor.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Danesmommy1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Ok, if it's not a stray thought, but a side effect, she still mishandled the situation. Abruptly stopping meds is dangerous, she should have called her doctor.
That may be true, but everyone trying to disregard the side effect she experienced as trivial is not helping anyone.

People need to know that help is out there with medications, but they also need to know what to do when a side effect like this happens. Telling people these side effects won't ever happen and it's "just them" is equally as dangerous.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm What medication was it?
Generic wellbutrin.
It gave me this something stuck in my throat feeling as well as a mild but incessant headache. Blurred vision at times.
That was extremely stupid. You should never discontinue Wellbutrin abruptly unless you have a seizure. It can actually be deadly.

Parents should not be this irresponsible. You were lucky
And this information should have been conveyed to her. That doesn't mean she's irresponsible, merely unaware of the consequences. A lot of doctors do such a poor job these days of letting patients know risks and benefits of medicine, including the risks of stopping said medication abruptly.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:52 am
EarlGrayHot wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am If you truly had such a thought you have no evidence whatsoever that it was the medication that caused it. Talk to your doctor. But this does not mean there is a huge danger when anyone takes antidepressants that you will want to harm your child. That is ridiculous.
Neither must the warning labels on all the medications right?
Those are ridiculous too right?
What I said was that I must be one of those people that those warning labels are about. It's nothing to be ashamed of and proves that those labels are correct FOR SOME PEOPLE.
I was taking them for insomnia, which is easily treated in a myraid of other ways.

Stop trying to point fingers to "I'm trying to demonize medication. "
Thats the problem with this. I very clearly stated that this happened to ME and everybody wants to suddenly take offense.
They love taking offense. To some if them all medicine is good and heavens help you if you say anything bad about any of it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic