Who's right, me or my sister?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My Mom is almost 80 and about 90% blind. She stop driving about 4 years ago and my sister and I alternate weekends visiting her to pay her bills, go through her mail, take her grocery shopping and just run around doing any errands she needs to get done. During the running around, we will stop and have lunch. About 6 months ago, she started having some issues with needing to use the bathroom after eating. My sister decided about 2 months ago that she will no longer take my mom to lunch at the kind of places she enjoys (fast food) because it's not good on her digestive system and mentioned it to me. I know my Mom has issues but I have always let her decide where we would eat. I still do. For me, whole point is that for one, she is old enough to know that if she eats fast food, it will bother her and that's her decision and I won't tell her no and secondly, she can't get out all week by herself and if on Saturday she wants a hamburger, then I will get her a hamburger. It must suck to have a craving for something and not be able to get it. My Mom feels like she should be able to eat what she wants and I agree with her. Now, my sister is really upset with me. Am I wrong? Should I make her only eat healthy and not take her to get the fast food she really wants?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I mean, is she having issues like shitting herself or something?
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’m with you.
Mommabearof2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:13 pm I mean, is she having issues like shitting herself or something?
Not quite. The food does move quickly through her but she always makes it to the bathroom in time. Usually like 20 minutes or so after eating.
Mommabearof2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Lunarprancer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 pm I’m with you.
Thank you. I can't image being home bound all week then when finally getting out being told what I can eat.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

When it's your time to run your mom around, do what you think is right. And when it's your sister's turn to do the running, she should do what she thinks is right. Doing it this way, your mom is still getting her fix every 2 weeks.

Or...ask your mom's doctor to weigh in on this debate.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This. I’m with you. But my brother was with your sister.

quote=Lunarprancer post_id=419449 time=1558923254 user_id=62]
I’m with you.
[/quote]
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I am with you. I am not going to tell my mother what she can and can not eat, unless she has an allergy. Your sister needs to understand that while she is only concerned it is crossing a line to try to control mom's food.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I"m with your sister, She seems to be the only one concerned with your mom's health and helping her to live as long as possible so the family doesn't miss out on precious time with her. If it is your goal however, to kill your mother off as quickly as possible so you will no longer be burdened by having to help with her then by all means, continue to feed her crap. When you get to a certain age in life one begins to lose one's faculties and that includes being capable of making responsible and informed decisions and the behavior of caring for one so elderly is akin to caring for a child in having to tell them no and set restrictions. If your mom is losing control of her bowels it is clear she is well beyond the capability of making such informed decisions for herself and it is up to you and your sister to be the responsible parties in managing her health and well being and quite frankly you're failing at it.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Mommabearof2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:17 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:13 pm I mean, is she having issues like shitting herself or something?
Not quite. The food does move quickly through her but she always makes it to the bathroom in time. Usually like 20 minutes or so after eating.
If she is making it to the bathroom in time then let her have whatever she wants to eat
Locked Previous topicNext topic