Brake-checking

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:56 am Only to truckers on the highway. Not a good idea but if I'm already going 5-10 over and you're riding my ass, damn straight I'm going to break check the f**k outta you and I'll box you in too and slow down until you get the hint, especially if you're in a semi truck as that becomes a safety issue for EVERYONE on the road.
This didn't involve any truckers or any highway and she was going 5 UNDER the speed limit, which is already really low. At higher speeds I leave more distance for safety and at any speed if they are close to or already over the speed limit then I am not tailing.
I'm sorry, I answered your questions

"Have you had it done to you? Have you done it to others? Do you think it actually accomplishes anything to brake-check the person following too close?"

rather than validate your experience of tailgating someone.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People brake check because you are too close. They do it in hopes that you'll back off. Both are stupid and dangerous though.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:29 pm One time a guy was so pissed at me for going 15 when I got on a ramp(the speed limit) that he passed me when we hit the road and I sped up just in time for him to slam on his brakes. This caused me to have to slam on mine, my car to slide sideways, and consequently, 5 cars behind me to have to stop and slide. It was all fun and games to the guy until he realized the 3rd or 4th car back was a cop. He quit laughing pretty fast when she pulled him over. I, on the other hand, was laughing hard as I passed him getting that ticket. That is after I calmed down after thinking he was going to kill someone.
Assholes like that are why dash cams are a good idea. Had you hit him with no witnesses, you would have been at fault!

I got hit a few years ago when a very elderly lady failed to stay in her lane. She thought I was trying to change lanes and hit her, and couldn’t prove I wasn’t at fault. It was so frustrating!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Before I caught up to her I was going 30mph. That's hardly reckless. And I'd use the term "neighborhood" loosely. There are zero houses on that stretch of that road. It's all gov't buildings.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm So you were driving recklessly through a neighborhood and then continued to be a gigantic asshole and drive illegally and dangerously. Putting you, your passengers, and anyone in the other car at risk?

Wow. Uh....good for you for admitting that. Now maybe self reflect, feel some shame, and go get a refresher from a driving instructor.

The speed limit doesn't mean you HAVE to go exactly that fast. Going slow through a neighborhood is commendable. You, however, drive like an inexcusable, self-absorbed asshole. I would have done what I always do- slow down slowly if you are tailgating me. We can creep along at 15, I don't care.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm
MuggleMama wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 am Why so close ?
It's what I do when someone is going excessively slow. Honestly, I didn't even really notice that I was so close until the first time she brake-checked me. I gained on her and ended up close because she was going so slow.

I'm not saying I was right. I'm not asking about my actions. I've been followed super close myself and I've never brake-checked someone. I don't get the point of doing so.
To get asshole tailgaters to realize how dangerously and stupidly they are driving and back off to a safe following distance.

That seems obvious to me. Not to you? Hmmmm
And how often does that actually work for you? How often does a tailgater actually back off once you brake-check them?

People will always be assholes on the road, including me sometimes. But being an asshole in return is just stooping to their level. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes I've done it. Yes I've had it done to me.

It's one way to tell a driver they're being an idiot. You really are in the wrong here. Doesn't matter if she's going 20, 25, or 50, you were too close and you know it.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm Before I caught up to her I was going 30mph. That's hardly reckless. And I'd use the term "neighborhood" loosely. There are zero houses on that stretch of that road. It's all gov't buildings.
SolidlyAverage wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm So you were driving recklessly through a neighborhood and then continued to be a gigantic asshole and drive illegally and dangerously. Putting you, your passengers, and anyone in the other car at risk?

Wow. Uh....good for you for admitting that. Now maybe self reflect, feel some shame, and go get a refresher from a driving instructor.

The speed limit doesn't mean you HAVE to go exactly that fast. Going slow through a neighborhood is commendable. You, however, drive like an inexcusable, self-absorbed asshole. I would have done what I always do- slow down slowly if you are tailgating me. We can creep along at 15, I don't care.
Are you for real? You are justifying your tailgating and condemning her brake cheaking by admitting to speeding??
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:21 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm Before I caught up to her I was going 30mph. That's hardly reckless. And I'd use the term "neighborhood" loosely. There are zero houses on that stretch of that road. It's all gov't buildings.

Are you for real? You are justifying your tailgating and condemning her brake cheaking by admitting to speeding??
Where have I tried to justify my tailgating? I believe I've said multiple times that I was wrong. I'm trying to find the thought process of reacting to one wrong with another wrong.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:26 pm Yes I've done it. Yes I've had it done to me.

It's one way to tell a driver they're being an idiot. You really are in the wrong here. Doesn't matter if she's going 20, 25, or 50, you were too close and you know it.
Yes I do. Not denying that.

Does brake-checking actually work to get the idiot to back off? Do you think it really gets people to think "Oh my gosh, I'm so wrong, I'm never ever going to do that again."
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't, because if someone is already up my ass, I don't trust them to not rear end me. The only thing doing it accomplishes is increase the checkers odds of getting hit.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic