Living Alone Spin Off

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I noticed thru the thread some who have never lived alone before. Some of you went from living with parents directly to living with a partner/spouse.

I'm curious on how this is addressed with kids once they're old enough to be on their own. Do you think they should live alone first before exploring a long term committed relationship or do you expect them to live with you until they marry and then go live with a spouse?

I'm genuinely curious how others approach this. I was raised that one should live alone first after leaving the parental home. I lived alone several years before acquiring a room mate and then eventually moving out to get married. I feel it helped me immensely because it also made me aware of what I could and could not tolerate should I pursue a room mate or an eventual live in partner.

Would you encourage your kids to live alone first before plunging into cohabitating with a partner?
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I would encourage my kids to live their own lives and make their own choices. I don't regret moving from my parents house directly in with my husband one bit. My brother has never lived alone either.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I will encourage my kids to live on their own for a number of years. I think a person learns a lot about themselves when they are on their own.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It is my kids choices
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Whatever my kids decide is fine with me.
Brit
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I will encourage my kids to do whatever is financially responsible- which probably means living with a roommate or partner.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I don't know, but I know I'm looking forward to living alone after being married 11 years. No one to clean up after besides myself, not having to juggle items in the fridge because stupid MIL takes up half the room overbuying shit for herself that she ends up throwing away half the time, not having to hide certain foods or rearrange my kitchen so things I need don't disappear, not having to have her ugly ass furniture around or have my Christmas decorations insulted. Being able to not make dinner if I don't want to. Sleeping in. ....Bliss.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's up to ds18 but way rentals are he might need a roommate to share an apartment. He already had the dorm experience.. living with some stranger in a tiny room lol. He may want his own place upon graduating.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would encourage going to college, living in a dorm, then living alone, traveling and exploring the world before settling down with anyone. If they chose not to, I will support them. I think I missed out on so much going from my mom to my ex. I just don't want them to live with the regrets I live with.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’ve never encouraged or discouraged how they housed themselves once they were adults. If I thought something was a bad idea, no matter the roommate/partner/friend status, I would say so but it would be situational not because I felt they should do it a specific way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic