Health Insurance vs. Privacy - wwyd?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Its open enrollment time for me. With it came an announcement about a new program. Complete a "health screening and wellness profile" and have that information submitted from your doc (when you have your yearly checkup) or the company clinic to the company's health plan administrator, and get a 700 dollar discount off of your insurance. Of course premiums have significantly increased this year, so if you opt out of the program your costs will rise a lot.

The profile includes basic info like blood pressure, cholesterol, A1C, BMI. They say they want to encourage people to get their annual checkup, be more aware of their health, and potentially be connected with health programs that can help them. They also claim that the information the company will be able to see will only be in aggregate, to better determine health programs for employees in the future. However the release form that you have to sign to give them access to your data says this:

"As a participant of the Program, I authorize verbal and written release of the information obtained as part of the Program to my health plan, health plan administrator, health care vendor for health plan related purposes, and data analytics vendor for health care operations and quality assessment purposes by or to _________ and its officers, employees, providers, agents, contractors, representatives, and assignees. This information includes all Program related information and results including but not limited to height, weight, body mass index, cholesterol profile, blood pressure, glucose testing, blood panel, biometric screening results, health risk assessment results, tobacco use information and incentive program tracking information.

BY SIGNING BELOW, I AUTHORIZE ________ TO USE AND DISCLOSE MY PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION

The protected health information (“PHI”) disclosed pursuant to this authorization may include the results of tests, evaluations, diagnoses and medical history relevant to the tests and evaluations performed, or any other general information that _________ already maintains about me from health-related services."

The blank is the company sponsored clinic that employees and their families can use.

People are a bit concerned about this, especially since the wording of this authorization doesn't say anything about how the company will only be able to see our data in aggregate. It seems pretty extensive and could include things beyond those basic numbers if you use the clinic for other services. Many people use the clinic as their PCP.

Anyone have anything like this with their health insurance plan? What would you do?
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Read up on HIPAA laws. Its highly illegal and punishable by jail time and very large fines for them to share your private health information.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm Read up on HIPAA laws. Its highly illegal and punishable by jail time and very large fines for them to share your private health information.

Even if we sign the release? This is a pretty big company. I'm sure they've considered the legalities of all of this.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Our health insurance through Dh's work gives us money back for the two of us having a physical. They do not have a clinic though..it is paperwork submitted by our physician to them. They also give us money back for sports if we submit contracts, receipts, etc. We got money back for our physicals as well as karate.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm Our health insurance through Dh's work gives us money back for the two of us having a physical. They do not have a clinic though..it is paperwork submitted by our physician to them. They also give us money back for sports if we submit contracts, receipts, etc. We got money back for our physicals as well as karate.

Who is "them?" The company? Do they get all of your health info, or just that you had a physical?
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm Read up on HIPAA laws. Its highly illegal and punishable by jail time and very large fines for them to share your private health information.
No its not. That paper the workers are signing is consent for these people and departments to.access that info.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Even if we sign the release? This is a pretty big company. I'm sure they've considered the legalities of all of this.
Its not illegal. They want you to give consent to share that info. No way in the world would I be signing that shit
Deleted User 172

Unread post

That's correct. The company you work for has no rights to your health information. That information will be only for your insurance.
They might tell the company 50% of the employees have xyz and need to have this type of coverage.

And by hefty fines I mean something like 50k Per Occurence per patient.
So if you have 50 people in your company that they released your health information the fine is 50k per person. Plus jail time in some cases.
That's for the 1st offense.

Protected health information is taken very seriously.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The insurance company. I thought that I was clear on that..sorry. They get a signed document that lists everything from the physical- blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:19 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:17 pm Our health insurance through Dh's work gives us money back for the two of us having a physical. They do not have a clinic though..it is paperwork submitted by our physician to them. They also give us money back for sports if we submit contracts, receipts, etc. We got money back for our physicals as well as karate.

Who is "them?" The company? Do they get all of your health info, or just that you had a physical?
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Its not illegal. They want you to give consent to share that info. No way in the world would I be signing that shit

It seems like a lot! And what they are saying they want to do with it, and what you give them access to in the form, seem not the same!
Locked Previous topicNext topic