Health Insurance vs. Privacy - wwyd?

Deleted User 172

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm Read up on HIPAA laws. Its highly illegal and punishable by jail time and very large fines for them to share your private health information.
No its not. That paper the workers are signing is consent for these people and departments to.access that info.
Hold on. Im gonna reread it.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:25 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Even if we sign the release? This is a pretty big company. I'm sure they've considered the legalities of all of this.
Its not illegal. They want you to give consent to share that info. No way in the world would I be signing that shit

It seems like a lot! And what they are saying they want to do with it, and what you give them access to in the form, seem not the same!
There is no way I would sign that. I would be worried they would use that info in some way to lenalize you.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Here's some info for you OP.
I reread the authorization. It sounds just like what we write on all of our HIPAA forms.

https://www.hipaajournal.com/civil-pena ... ing-hipaa/

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Educat ... curity.pdf
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm Read up on HIPAA laws. Its highly illegal and punishable by jail time and very large fines for them to share your private health information.
No its not. That paper the workers are signing is consent for these people and departments to.access that info.
Especially the part where the signee gives consent for the sharing of protected info
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I get the blood work and small physical every year through my company. I sign the release and don’t worry about it any farther than that
I would have never found out I was diabetic without that screening.
I really doubt my company is interested in my results
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 pm
Dylexsmommy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Especially the part where the signee gives consent for the sharing of protected info
This is all standard HIPAA release form practices.
If she really has concerns about it, then she needs to be speaking with her HR not us.

OP- Go talk to your HR about this. Or better yet go talk to your insurance about this.

Oh, and I'm really bad about crossing stuff out and writing in stuff when I sign my name to stuff, give that a try.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I wouldn't do it either.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yet another reason that health insurance should be available for everyone to purchase on the open market - and not tied to employment. Why should your employer get to decide what information is shared, or surcharge you for not sharing?
Thunderbug75
Countess
Countess

Unread post

My health care clinic is owned and operated by my employer. It has been this way for over 20 yrs, I've never had any problems regarding my privacy. We are a large non medical related company also.

What exactly are your concerns? HIPPA laws are very strict when it comes to patient medical records and their privacy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've done something similar in the past. I had no issues. I trusted that my employer wasn't digging up juicy details of people's health status.

It's optional. You can always opt out and you can still get health insurance. For that reason I guess I don't see what the big deal is.
Locked Previous topicNext topic