Best reaction I've had in 15 years of doing this!!

Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

duck fairy.png
So each year, the kids use the watercolors to paint the eggs and I put them on the wall in the hallway outside the classroom. After a week of so, I hatch one of the eggs. I usually choose an egg belonging to a kid who will certainly notice and will alert the other kids to the phenomenon. Over the course of the next week, I randomly hatch eggs in groups of 4 or 5 until all are hatched. They are all hatched in time to take home for Spring Break.

This year, it was W's egg I hatched first. We were having free play and as he waked past the open classroom door, he froze in his tracks. Then he walked over to the door and stared, wide-mouthed at his egg. Then shot his gaze back at me. Then at the egg again! And then:

W: Do you SEE that?

Bieg: What am I supposed to be seeing?

W: My egg! It cracked!!!

Bieg: Oh yeah. How about that. But it doesn't appear to have just cracked. An egg will crack if you drop it on the floor. Looks to me like your egg hatched.

W: (rubbing his head now) But that can't just happen! How did that happen???!!!

Bieg: How do you think?

W: (now holding his head in both hands while shaking it side to side) I don't know. (sigh...pause) I just don't know. (goes back to staring out the door at the egg)

W: (comes all the way over to me) Is there a duck fairy?

Bieg: Hmmm. I've never heard of the duck fairy, W. But I suppose it's possible. Why don't you see what your friends think?

Some of the other kids were excited about W's egg hatching, but there were no more hypotheses offered.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That is adorable! A duck fairy. Kids are so awesome.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thank you for sharing this. So sweet and fun. Teachers are the best - they give so much more than lesson plans.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

How old?

And that’s a super cute and creative idea. In fact, I think YDS and I are going to make an egg now that will “hatch” on Easter.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Very cute!
luvthagirl
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Cute
Deleted User 670

Unread post

That's so cool. What grade is this?
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:26 pm How old?

And that’s a super cute and creative idea. In fact, I think YDS and I are going to make an egg now that will “hatch” on Easter.
3yo nursery...the year before preK

Use a paper fastener to create a hinge. Gotta read The Little Duck ,The Golden Egg, and Horton Hatches the Egg. Oh...and Mouse Paint, for the color mixing. And if you use watercolors, pop out the black and the brown.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:57 pm That's so cool. What grade is this?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Hot4Tchr-Bieg wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:26 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:57 pm That's so cool. What grade is this?
That is such a fun age!
Locked Previous topicNext topic