Updated Ewwwww!!!! What should I do???

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My 4 year old appears to have a tick on his head. His pediatrician is closed (but I’m having the doctor call me back), and our local pediatric urgent care doesn’t open until 4pm. So while I wait, I figure I’ll ask you ladies what you would do.

The pediatrician told me to stop being a whiny baby and pull it out! It was gross.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Remove it.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Pull the tick out. If the tick is big enough and your kid can sit still, try spinning the tick around in a circular motion with your finger. It will cause the tick to pull out by itself. Otherwise, use a pair of tweezers. Disinfect tweezers afterward with rubbing alcohol. If the tick hasn't been there long, then all you need to do is clean the bite site and maybe dab on some antibacterial ointment. Save the tick to take to the doctors. The tick must be attached for 36-48 hours before transmitting Lyme disease so if he just got the tick today, remove it and he'll be fine. Otherwise, your pediatrician should prescribe a 3 week dose of doxycycline in case the tick carried Lyme. Especially if there is a red ring around the bite

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/transmission/index.html
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

You need to carefully remove it and save it in a small jar or plastic bag for testing.

When you remove it, you must be careful to make sure that the head does not break off or the pinchers does not break off. It is not good if any bits of the tick remain as it can work its way under the skin. Keep an eye on the site for any signs of disease - this is where you need to ask your pediatrician because all I can recall is a red circle is bad (but I could be wrong). Also ask your pediatrician if they want you to bring in the tick for testing for lyme, etc.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk.. can you pull it out?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Remove it! Why is it necessary to go to the doctor for this? You just remove it and keep an eye on the bite site to make sure it doesn't turn into a bulls-eye.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 3

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:08 pm Remove it! Why is it necessary to go to the doctor for this? You just remove it and keep an eye on the bite site to make sure it doesn't turn into a bulls-eye.
That's what I was thinking. And the replies to bring the tick to a laboratory for testing? Really?? Just pull the tick off and move on LOL.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Remove it and flush it. All done. What the hell are you going to a doctor for?
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yep. I'm an old school southern mom. You remove it and move on with life. Common sense has gone by the way side. There is no reason for testing or a doctor's visit. You just remove it.

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:12 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:08 pm Remove it! Why is it necessary to go to the doctor for this? You just remove it and keep an eye on the bite site to make sure it doesn't turn into a bulls-eye.
That's what I was thinking. And the replies to bring the tick to a laboratory for testing? Really?? Just pull the tick off and move on LOL.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is this for real??
Locked Previous topicNext topic