Periodontal work

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Somehow I have only had one cavity my whole life (when I was 12), but I haven't kept my gums cleaned well. I need a root scaling/planing.

I'll just go right out and say I'm scared about this and I don't want to be in miserable pain during or after. Maybe that's not avoidable?

Should I have the regular dentist do this? A periodontist? The dental office I go to, I've seen a different dentist almost every time I've been, so I don't know them that well. It's just an okay office.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I have had several sets of gum grafts which is not quite the same thing but a periodontist handled that. They are the ones that deal with most of the gum things
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am I have had several sets of gum grafts which is not quite the same thing but a periodontist handled that. They are the ones that deal with most of the gum things

I'm not sure what that is except that it sounds terribly painful. :(
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:51 am
RedBottoms wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:47 am I have had several sets of gum grafts which is not quite the same thing but a periodontist handled that. They are the ones that deal with most of the gum things

I'm not sure what that is except that it sounds terribly painful. :(
My gums were receding really bad so they basically take off the roof of my mouth and turn it into gums and sew them back into my gums to replace the old gums. That skin is tougher than gums and lasts longer and better. It blends in so you mostly can't even tell. I have the bottom gums in the front replaced and on both right and left sides replaced. I don't know why my gums suck so bad but they do. She said its party from grinding teeth at night (I wear a nightguard now) and also bad genetics.

Its rough on me because my whole face swells and bruises like Mike Tyson punched me after having it done
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I've had it done. The dental hygienist did it. I wasnt in incredible pain during or after.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I had my whole mouth done. It didn’t hurt or seem to take that long from what I remember. You also might want a second opinion if you’re really on the fence about it. I think some dentists just say you need it because it costs so much.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:05 am I had my whole mouth done. It didn’t hurt or seem to take that long from what I remember. You also might want a second opinion if you’re really on the fence about it. I think some dentists just say you need it because it costs so much.

I have heard that's true, but I really do think I need it done. I don't know why I'm so nervous about it.

Did you have your dentist do it or a periodontist? Did they give you some type of anesthetic?
Locked Previous topicNext topic