Is it rude to ask someone if they want to go back to work?

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:40 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm I see it as normal conversation. I don't know why any reasonable person would take offense.

It's an intrusive question unless you're close friends with the person you ask.
It's only intrusive if you're hypersensitive. It's conversation to everyone else.

People with manners and respect for boundaries do not ask personal questions of people they don't know well. It's rude.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm

It's only intrusive if you're hypersensitive. It's conversation to everyone else.

People with manners and respect for boundaries do not ask personal questions of people they don't know well. It's rude.
.....but shes my friend.....?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:59 pm

How close a friend?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:04 pm

How close a friend?
I've know her for 7 years we talk at gatherings and birthday parties and yada yada yada
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The OP said they were friends. I have deeper conversations with my friends than small talk about the weather, so I considered that in my answer. Friends discuss things about their lives.

If it's a lady in line at the grocery store you're chatting with, then yes, I can see someone thinking that's invasive.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly. I wouldn't have thought twice about that. To me, you're simply having a conversation about her life. You didn't say "you're a lazy so and so if you don't go back to work".

My friends and I discuss our lives all the time. If they're at a crossroads on something, we'll ask each other "what are you thinking about doing about that". With my friends that's what we do. We're sounding boards for each other.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't think it's rude.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She was probably just surprised by the question. I’m sure she’s been asked by others what her plans were with work after the baby was born. You actually switched it up and ask what she wanted. I don’t think it’s rude, at least not to ask a friend. It shows thought and care about your friend.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don't think it's a rude question...But depending upon who's asking, it might be.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't think it's rude.

I also think that nothing brings out the questions from others like having a baby. Might as well get used to it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic