When a parent gives you money to hold for the kid

RedBottoms

Unread post

So my son's friend basically invited himself along to go to Dollywood with us yesterday. I was fine with him coming but I told him he would need to bring at least $100 for his entrance fee and food. He showed up with $120. I held onto it since it was a $100 bill and a $20 and we were worried he would lose it.

I pay for him to get in with the $100 and it was about $84 with tax. We got mini pizzas for lunch which was about $6 or $7 a piece roughly. Then later we got ice cream which was probably $3 or $4 a piece. Then he wanted a caricature which was $16.50 roughly. Not sure if they charged me tax or not.

Now adding that up-It may not have been exactly $120. I was not keeping tabs of things to the penny because we are in an amusement park and I am also paying for other things with his etc. I did not give him any change back at the end of the day.

This is also a kid I pay for to eat or go places like the movies etc regularly. WAY more than his mom ever does for my kid in return. So whatever-it evens out.

I am taking like 4 other kids to Dollywood in a few weeks for a birthday celebration for my sons. So the question is-if the parents give me money-what should I do? I am paying for their entrance with guest passes so no one has to give me money for entrance fees. I am telling the parents if they want to send souvenir or food money they can-but I was planning on buying some food for everyone there and bringing some sandwiches etc for a picnic on the way back. But if the kids want excessive amounts of extra food they will need to pay for it. I can get everyone a meal and a treat like a pretzel or ice cream or a slushie or popcorn etc but I am not buying all of those for each kid.

So if a parent gives you money for a kid-do you let the kid keep it? Or do you try to tally everything up to the penny and return the change? Or do you just take it and buy them stuff and not worry about tallying it?

I typically just take it and buy the kid things and don't worry about tallying. I usually spend more than they send anyway in the long run.

Not sure what the most kosher way to do it is.

edited I also gave him $1 to feed the little crow at the end of the bird show that takes the money and puts it in the donation box. Cutest thing
and I gave him $2 for the giant claw machine
Deleted User 670

Unread post

How old is this kid?
RedBottoms

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm How old is this kid?
12. All the kids will be 12. But keep in mind we are going on rollercoasters that are fast and jerky and upside down so money falls out of pockets so that is why I held onto it for him.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would have bought the ticket with the money given him the rest to buy what he wanted including food.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:05 pm I would have bought the ticket with the money given him the rest to buy what he wanted including food.
what happens if he loses it though? I would end up buying his food then. I couldn't let him go hungry
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I will hold the money, but keep it separate, So if little Johnny wants a slush, I will give him the money for the slush and have him buy it himself and then put the change away so later when he wants to get his face painted I get out his money and hand it to him.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I hold on to all money unless we are talking 12 or older. Everyone has a baggie with their name on it and anything they want to buy I hand them their money and they hand me back change that goes back in their baggie. At the end of the night they get their baggie with anything that is left.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm I hold on to all money unless we are talking 12 or older. Everyone has a baggie with their name on it and anything they want to buy I hand them their money and they hand me back change that goes back in their baggie. At the end of the night they get their baggie with anything that is left.
I like this idea. I had it kinda in my wallet with my money but its going to get mixed up that way. And if I am trying to keep up with multiple kids money its going to get messy.

The baggie idea is smart. Two of them are going to be girls so they will probably bring a backpack or purse so they can carry their own. Its the boys with only pockets I worry about them losing theirs as if you flip upside down stuff will fall out of pockets.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:07 pm I hold on to all money unless we are talking 12 or older. Everyone has a baggie with their name on it and anything they want to buy I hand them their money and they hand me back change that goes back in their baggie. At the end of the night they get their baggie with anything that is left.
I do this too
Deleted User 670

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm
I like this idea. I had it kinda in my wallet with my money but its going to get mixed up that way. And if I am trying to keep up with multiple kids money its going to get messy.

The baggie idea is smart. Two of them are going to be girls so they will probably bring a backpack or purse so they can carry their own. Its the boys with only pockets I worry about them losing theirs as if you flip upside down stuff will fall out of pockets.
I hear fanny packs are making a comeback.
Locked Previous topicNext topic