High school reunions

RedBottoms

Unread post

So if you don't mind doing so -what year did you graduate and did you have reunions and what were they like?

I graduated 1999. When picking our Senior Class President the teachers warned us that keep in mind who you vote for as this person is in charge of planning all reunions.

So now here we are and we had a chance to have a 5 year, 10 year and now 20 year reunion. And nothing is being planned really. They did something for 10 year I think but it was basically on the fb page "Hey show up to the football game and we can meet up and go to the bar" that was it. No official invitations-I am sure half the people never heard about it. No venue. No anything official.

So someone brought up on the fb page if we are doing anything for our 20th. The Class President lives in California and we are in TN. So far Class Pres has not done anything.

Then my Dh also graduated from another school in 99 and they did even less. Nothing period has been done. No fb page is created even.

His Class President very likely left the country as she was here on a visa or something. Not a legal citizen. I told him they were dumb for electing her knowing in the future she might not even be in the country.

So I know older generations actually have "REAL" reunions. They do venues and dinners and have awards and slide shows etc. So why is our generation just not doing reunions? What is the deal?

Would love to hear if its just our area or is everyone in that age bracket just not doing reunions?
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I graduated in 1994. I don't go to the reunions as I live several states away now so I'm not traveling that far for a reunion. We have a class FB page and it seems pretty organized and they do events even when it's not a reunion time. Bar meet ups, HS football game meet ups etc.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I graduated in 2001. We had a ten year reunion but not many went, as it was a booze-fest at a not-so-great venue in a crappy part of the city. I didn't go. We'll see if 20 years is planned any better.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I graduated 1991. There have been 2 reunions. I didn’t go to the first one. I was bullied in high school, I had no interest in the “memories” or in seeing those people.
The second one was 3 years ago, so all the planning was done through WhatsApp. There was a discussion about the cost of the ticket and what if someone couldn’t afford it. So I offered my ticket to give away. Some people started asking me why I didn’t want to go and I told it like it is. I said I had very few memories worth reliving, that we may think bullying just goes away when as we grow up, but it doesn’t. The bullied person just doesn’t forget about the humiliation and it’s so,etching that stays with you and can even become a part of you, for better or worse. I had a very strong response to that, some telling me they showed my post tomtheir children to show them how bad bullying is and even a couple of my former bullied PM me to apologize and asked me to go. So I went. I really stuck to my former group of friends, just said some polite greetings to everyone else.
I’m not planning on going to anymore reunions, though. I did my closure there, but I don’t have to pretend I’m happy to see everyone. Forgiving isn’t forgetting.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
RedBottoms

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm I graduated 1991. There have been 2 reunions. I didn’t go to the first one. I was bullied in high school, I had no interest in the “memories” or in seeing those people.
The second one was 3 years ago, so all the planning was done through WhatsApp. There was a discussion about the cost of the ticket and what if someone couldn’t afford it. So I offered my ticket to give away. Some people started asking me why I didn’t want to go and I told it like it is. I said I had very few memories worth reliving, that we may think bullying just goes away when as we grow up, but it doesn’t. The bullied person just doesn’t forget about the humiliation and it’s so,etching that stays with you and can even become a part of you, for better or worse. I had a very strong response to that, some telling me they showed my post tomtheir children to show them how bad bullying is and even a couple of my former bullied PM me to apologize and asked me to go. So I went. I really stuck to my former group of friends, just said some polite greetings to everyone else.
I’m not planning on going to anymore reunions, though. I did my closure there, but I don’t have to pretend I’m happy to see everyone. Forgiving isn’t forgetting.
I was not bullied in high school.I was in middle school. I was not friends with everyone though. I had plenty I HIGHLY disliked. I was left out a lot. So I am not super keen on going to a reunion either. But one friend has begged me to go and I promised her I would if she goes with me. There are some people I would love to say hi to. Plenty I don't want to. It is what it is.

I just think its bullshit the Class Pres took that job knowing reunions were his responsibility and has not done it.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I graduated in 2001. I know there was a 10 year thing, but from what I remember it was at a country club, very expensive, and no one went. So they had to knock things off, like an open bar, because they didn't sell enough tickets. I didn't go. We aren't at 20 years yet.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I graduated in 2004. Nothing has been done to my knowledge.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Graduated in 2005. We had a 5 year reunion at a small park in a neighboring town. I didn't attend; I can't remember why. I never heard about a 10 year reunion, so I don't know if there was one or not. I have 2-3 friends that I would like to see again, but we keep in touch through FB. We keep casually mentioning a get together, but we never set a day and one friend lives in Daphne, AL, so that makes it difficult.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I graduated in '79 and I've never gone to a reunion. We had a graduating class of around 3 or 4 hundred. There were only a handful of kids I knew from classes we took together. I graduated and never looked back. I had no desire to attend any kind of reunion.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Found out about the reunion 2 years after happened. Very poor planning. It was all on FB and they contacted nobody.
I wouldn't have gone anyway. I left that high school life behind.
I know several people from my class that are still stuck in high school.
It's kind of sad.
Locked Previous topicNext topic