He is screwed

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:10 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm Can he get a office job at that construction job? Like instead of lifting heavy equipment he could be in the office doing invoices or answering phones. Or he could get a supervisor job. In which he is a expert so he tells everyone else what to do and he can do the light stuff like a nail hammer or sawing just not the heavy stuff.
They have all women working in the office
Okay? That doesn't mean you have to be a woman to work there.
They do not hire men to work in the office just like not one of the jobs has a woman working in the field
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:32 pm
WickedPissah wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:31 pm
What does that have to do with anything?
They don't hire men to work in the office, only women.
Yes but maybe he can talk to his boss about contractor or supervisory positions. Perhaps he can do home inspections for a realtor. Surely there are other options or companies besides the one he's at.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm Can he get a office job at that construction job? Like instead of lifting heavy equipment he could be in the office doing invoices or answering phones. Or he could get a supervisor job. In which he is a expert so he tells everyone else what to do and he can do the light stuff like a nail hammer or sawing just not the heavy stuff.
You think a supervisor in a construction company only swings a hammer? Yeah right. I am a project manager and if I am on site and they need help I lend a hand. I know the lead hand on the site is doing the exact same work as the general labour plus additional work.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 pm
WickedPissah wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:31 pm
What does that have to do with anything?
Yes but maybe he can talk to his boss about contractor or supervisory positions. Perhaps he can do home inspections for a realtor. Surely there are other options or companies besides the one he's at.
They build bridge's not homes. They have different sites. Each one has a general Forman a foreman and a lead man. The my dh crew already as those. Plus in order to get that position you have to be working with the ompan for years. The lead man has been with them 18 year, the foreman has been with them 25 year. Dh hasn't been with the. Company long enough to get one of those positions
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:00 pm My dh does construction. He's been doing it for 22 years. It is all he knows. In December her hurt his back at work. He finally got them to do a MRI. The doctor told him he has a lot of arthritis in his back and some disc protrusion, which is typical in his line or work. But told dh he need to consider another line of work or he will eventually destroy his back. That everytimes he picks up something
heavy he is going to throw out his back again. He doesn't know anything else . I work but i dont make enough to support us on my own. I make less than half of what he makes and the reason i work is because we need both of 0ur incomes.

f**k. I told him we arw going to have to figure out something. I dont want him destroying his back..
With all that experience, he should be able to transition into a construction management job or a foreman job at least.

Does he know enough guys where he might be able to start his own company and then he'll be the boss. He could go out and do estimates and leave the heavy lifting to the young guys. A small remodelling company would be a nice living.

Have him look into insurance adjusting too. I think with that background he'd be valuable to them.

There are lots of opportunities! Don't dispair! ❤
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Pjmm wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 pm

They build bridge's not homes. They have different sites. Each one has a general Forman a foreman and a lead man. The my dh crew already as those. Plus in order to get that position you have to be working with the ompan for years. The lead man has been with them 18 year, the foreman has been with them 25 year. Dh hasn't been with the. Company long enough to get one of those positions
Nevertheless there has to be other positions open to him. County inspector like someone mentioned. If he's trained he still could do home inspections. If he was hurt on the job maybe workers comp will help him. If he wasn't I'd ask at your nearest community college. Physical therapists and doctors who regularly see these injuries may have insight into retraining avenues open to him.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Sorry to hear this. Can he maybe get a grant to go back to school or something and get trained in something else?
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is a common problem for construction workers. It's hard. I'm so sorry.

I switched careers about 6 years ago. It was difficult but I was the main income source and I still made it happen. There are ways. Better to figure something out and get going on the transition sooner rather than later. Good luck.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 pm
They do not hire men to work in the office just like not one of the jobs has a woman working in the field
That is illegal. He should be suing them if that is the case.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 pm

That is illegal. He should be suing them if that is the case.

You think they don't know how to cover their ass. They also dont follow safety guidelines. This company has been open for over 50 years. They know how to cover their own asses.
Locked Previous topicNext topic