Thanks for the chicken pox!

Anonymous 1

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 pm I am so damn tired of hearing this stupid sh*t! Every damn child who gets chicken pox, measles, whooping cough... is NOT unvaxed. All of you who cry this sh*t every time a kid gets something just look plain stupid AF! I have a very very bad case of chicken pox when I was 15 years old. Guess what! I was vaccinated. The majority of these kids getting measles , pox, etc ARE vaccinated.
Oh so that huge measles outbreak in Disney world was just a BIG coincidence that not one vaccinated person got it but a huge amount of non vax people did. And I bet that it is a huge coincidence that polio was almost non existent until people stopped vaccinating and then there was a huge jump in polio cases.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm
QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 pm
Yes!
I just posted about this !
I got shingles and it wasn’t too bad but I had little red itchy sore spots on the left side of my chest and stomach for a few weeks. I took medication for it.
I’ve know friends who had it for months and still have sensitivity in areas where the rash was .
Ugh.
Another good reason to get kids vaccinated, right?!
Chicken pox vaccine doesnt protect against Shingles. In fact since the CP vaccine uses live virus it can reactivate later in life as Shingles. Rare but does happen.
Duh
I Know that the vaccine doesn’t prevent shingles!

The only way you get shingles is if you have HAD chicken pox , the disease!!!
I had chicken pox in 1949.
I got shingles in 1995.
Do you understand?
Well no, that’s not true.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 pm I had them in my early twenties. They make it out to be way worse than it is. I have a small scar on the side of my nose and one small scar on the side of my forehead from a burst pox. It isn't a colossal thing.
Just because you were lucky doesn't mean that ot isnt a huge deal. Chicken pox in adults can lead to encephalitis,pneumonia and even inflamation of the brain
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Chicken pox vaccine doesnt protect against Shingles. In fact since the CP vaccine uses live virus it can reactivate later in life as Shingles. Rare but does happen.
Duh

I got shingles in 1995.
Do you understand?
For the most part it is. You need to have been exposed to the chicken pox virus either by having the disease or through the chicken pox vaccine.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Duh

I got shingles in 1995.
Do you understand?
For the most part it is. You need to have been exposed to the chicken pox virus either by having the disease or through the chicken pox vaccine.
Right, I took it as her saying you had to have had the disease and wouldn’t get it if you had the vaccine. That’s what I’m saying she is wrong about
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 pm
Yes!
I just posted about this !
I got shingles and it wasn’t too bad but I had little red itchy sore spots on the left side of my chest and stomach for a few weeks. I took medication for it.
I’ve know friends who had it for months and still have sensitivity in areas where the rash was .
Ugh.
Another good reason to get kids vaccinated, right?!
Duh

I got shingles in 1995.
Do you understand?
More than you do. The You get shingles from exposure to the Varicella Zoster Virus. Which is the chicken pox virus. It lies dormant until it re-emerges as Shingles. That exposure can can come from the actual disease or from the chicken pox vaccine which uses the live virus.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Right, I took it as her saying you had to have had the disease and wouldn’t get it if you had the vaccine. That’s what I’m saying she is wrong about
You arw very correct.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm
jas wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am It usually is mild when you are that young. It's unlikely you'll get it again.
While it's unlikely to get chicken pox again, she CAN get shingles which is a variant. I had chicken pox when I was little and had shingles in my 30's. I would wish that on NO ONE. It is extremely painful.
You don't get shingles from new contact with the chicken pox virus. You get shingles from the chicken pox virus that is already dormant in your body. It can re-emerge if you have a weakened immune system, which is why most people who get it are elderly. You also can get shingles if you have been vaccinated and haven't had chicken pox itself.
You can get chicken pox from exposure to Shingles though
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Duh

I got shingles in 1995.
Do you understand?
I had shingles in 1995.

I wouldn’t have had shingles in 1995 if I had never had chicken pox .

Chicken pox stays in your system forever and you might get shingles later on.
Do your research.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I did not say that .

You get shingles if you have had chicken pox, the disease.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20353054
Locked Previous topicNext topic