Schools closing for illness

RedBottoms

Unread post

Do your schools ever close for illness? I just found out our county closed for Friday for illness. They apparently use a percentage thing were if X amount of students and Y amount of teachers or staff are out sick-they may cancel. Since we have Monday off for President's Day I guess they figure the 4 day weekend will give people time to feel better and keep the germs down.

They claim to have janitorial staff clean everything good when they close like this. Wiping off door handles and stuff I guess.

What do you think about closing for illness? Does your school do it? I know my kids are stoked about it lol!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I thought most schools did do that if a certain percentage of the kids are absent.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My ohs, no. Mine yes. Last year we had influenza, head lice, strep throat, scarlet fever and pneumonia go through so we closed for a week. The custodial staff had to bleach everything.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't remember the kids schools ever closing for illness. I do know several years ago one of the local private schools closing due to a terrible norovirus outbreak.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Didnt some east tn schools close from 2/6 to 2/8 due to illness?
They are closing again tomorrow?
Our schools only close during blizzards or hurricanes.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not sure. I've never encountered that in all my years of schooling and so far I haven't with my kids either. I guess they gotta do what they gotta do. The only time I even remember a school closing was once half way through the day because the weather got bad and the other time was because the heating was broken in the dead of winter.
Nerdymom
MegaMod
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My kids school Has never been closed for illness but I read about a school in a nearby district closing because 3 students (all related) had leprosy. That’s when I learned that you could get leprosy from armadillos, because I had to find out how someone got leprosy in this day and age.
My kids have a 4 day weekend instead of having two 3 day weekends back to back. For Presidents’ Day and Lincoln’s birthday.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They absolutely should have closed here recently. Just over half of the students at the school my oldest goes to were out for the flu but the current superintendent refused to close. I don't know the numbers for the others but kids are going home daily at the school my youngest attends. I doubt any serious cleaning is being done or it's being done too late.

Several years ago a doctor saw so many kids for the flu that he called the SI and told him the schools needed to close, it was the week before Christmas break, and he actually did it. The SI we have now won't consider closing.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, our district closed last week (or maybe it was the week before) due to high number of student and faculty absences. Kids have E-learning days tomorrow and Monday to make up those days.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've never heard of that happening. I've only seen school closures for weather.
Locked Previous topicNext topic