Do You Agree?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

B456BC42-8BFC-411D-883A-B6060FBC47FA.jpeg
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't think anyone is *entitled* to any help such as food stamps, etc, but a decent society has help in place so people don't starve or die from lack of medical care.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I don’t care what you call them, but I fully support them. DH and I are high income earners and pay scary amounts of state and federal taxes, but we support programs that make sure people have basic necessities if they hit a rough patch and need help.
RedBottoms

Unread post

100% agree
Anonymous 1

Unread post

What if they haven’t hit arough patch and don’t truly need the help? What if they just don’t want to work have made bad decisions/etc.?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 pm I don’t care what you call them, but I fully support them. DH and I are high income earners and pay scary amounts of state and federal taxes, but we support programs that make sure people have basic necessities if they hit a rough patch and need help.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 pm What if they haven’t hit arough patch and don’t truly need the help? What if they just don’t want to work have made bad decisions/etc.?
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 pm I don’t care what you call them, but I fully support them. DH and I are high income earners and pay scary amounts of state and federal taxes, but we support programs that make sure people have basic necessities if they hit a rough patch and need help.
I think having a child when you’re living pay check to pay check is a bad decision, but I don’t think your family should wind up homeless and starving if you made that decision and then lost your job.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:52 pm What if they haven’t hit arough patch and don’t truly need the help? What if they just don’t want to work have made bad decisions/etc.?
That doesn't work here. Even if you only get food stamps they make you volunteer 20 hours a week unless you are disabled if you don't have a job.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

I think it’s a matter of semantics and makes absolutely no difference what you call it. I don’t think that anyone who is abusing the system is justifying it by telling themselves that they are “entitled” because those benefits are called “entitlements.” If you changed the terminology, no one going to go “oh! I’m not entitled to these benefits?? Crap, I’ll go close my case ASAP!”

I do think that things like this meme are intended to stir the pot and engender negative feelings toward welfare recipients by implying that they likely feel that they are owed something and probably aren’t grateful.
RedBottoms

Unread post

People do feel "entitled" to welfare though
This woman is the perfect example. She has 15 kids and just keeps saying "Someone has to pay for my kids". It never occurred to her that its HER job to pay for her kids.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Only if you say tax shelters for wealthy corporations are not entitlements. Idc who's entitled to what but lately I've felt our congress and president isn't entitled to a dime of taxpayer money especially after the shutdown. Yet we support the lousy bums and complain about the working poor taking what the government says they can have.
Locked Previous topicNext topic