Do You Agree?

CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 pm I don’t care what you call them, but I fully support them. DH and I are high income earners and pay scary amounts of state and federal taxes, but we support programs that make sure people have basic necessities if they hit a rough patch and need help.
I definitely think it should be there to help people in their rough patch.

My issue is the people who abuse it.

One of my in laws has never worked and has had three additional children since she first went on public assistance. It's gross.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I've seen far too many work the system to feel good about welfare existing anymore. Too much of the time the actual poor don't get the help and die from malnutrition and medical conditions that could have been treated had they been allowed to get help. Meanwhile people who lie, work under the table and pop out baby after baby get to live better and eat better than a lot of people who actually work for a living and don't try to reproduce enough to populate a small town.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I agree but it doesn’t really matter. Me agreeing with the choice of words won’t change the broken system, lol.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Social security and Medicare are earned.
Those of us who worked for decades and saw money withheld from our paychecks EARNED social security and Medicare.
We’re entitled!
They’re NOT welfare!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk, not really.

A baby, a child, a teen is entitled to food. I mean, how can we be so cold?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm Welfare and the defense budget are approximately tied for the largest government expenditures. I’d say that makes welfare worthy of concern.

I feel like you should get what you pay for: congresspeople can afford better medical care.

I don’t believe corporations should have the tax freedoms they do, but they’re providing jobs. If they go away, the country will be in worse shape, arguably.
Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm Why? It’s usually the recipients’ fault they’re on welfare.

Is it a corporations fault if they need a tax shelter? A government bailout? They get it no guilt involved. Do the congressmen deserve better healthcare than their constitutes get? And what my kids will pay back in debt is certainly more than they will in welfare. Idk about you but I've bigger worries than what an EIC recipient or a HUD renter does. Climate change and health care tops that list. Long as they're not committing fraud and they meet the criteria I'm not complaining. If I don't agree with the programs I write my representatives which others can do Also.
Are you counting Medicare?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm Welfare and the defense budget are approximately tied for the largest government expenditures. I’d say that makes welfare worthy of concern.

I feel like you should get what you pay for: congresspeople can afford better medical care.

I don’t believe corporations should have the tax freedoms they do, but they’re providing jobs. If they go away, the country will be in worse shape, arguably.

Is it a corporations fault if they need a tax shelter? A government bailout? They get it no guilt involved. Do the congressmen deserve better healthcare than their constitutes get? And what my kids will pay back in debt is certainly more than they will in welfare. Idk about you but I've bigger worries than what an EIC recipient or a HUD renter does. Climate change and health care tops that list. Long as they're not committing fraud and they meet the criteria I'm not complaining. If I don't agree with the programs I write my representatives which others can do Also.
This is old but it breaks down what was spent on TANF and welfare programs. If you have a newer link feel free to tell me. https://econofact.org/welfare-and-the-federal-budget
Thank you. This has been consistent for ages. I am always a little surprised that we can get so upset about welfare, yet we don’t bat an eye about what we spend on Medicare, because apparently, it’s OK to let a baby know food insecurity. But if a 98 year old wants heart surgery, only a monster would question limiting that expenditure 😂
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Medicare isn’t welfare.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 pm

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 pm Medicare isn’t welfare.

Sorry, I know, but if I recall correctly then, welfare benefits are not comparable with defense spending. So I was having difficulty understanding your statement.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I posted a (credible) source elsewhere in the thread. As of 2019, the welfare budget is higher than the defense budget, though slightly lower than social security.
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 pm Medicare isn’t welfare.

Sorry, I know, but if I recall correctly then, welfare benefits are not comparable with defense spending. So I was having difficulty understanding your statement.
Locked Previous topicNext topic