Should insurances have to cover IVF or other fertility treatments?

RedBottoms

Unread post

Some states have already made laws that insurances have to cover IVF and other infertility treatments. When we did infertility treatments our insurance did have a $20,000 lifetime max coverage. So we were able to get some help paying for everything. We still paid out thousands of our own money but it was applied to deductible and we got some costs negotiated down and it very much helped.

Should all states have to cover infertility treatment and make it a nationwide thing?

I am in support of it. My reasoning is we have to pay for a 400 pound person who got that way by overeating and not exercising to have open heart surgery. We have to pay for a drunk driver to get patched up after they drink drunk and wreck.. We have to pay for the drug addict to go to rehab.

And those people put themselves in that situation. Infertile people often did nothing wrong to cause their infertility. It just happened. I was only 23 when we started TTC. I did not even do the whole "You waited too long to start trying thing". I was young. But I had a genetic disease PCOS that causes infertility. Nothing I did wrong.

It bothers me a lot of pro life people don't support this more. You think if they cared about babies so much they would support this so people can have more babies. And so that babies are less likely to die from miscarriage. With infertility doctors helping me I was able to stop having miscarriages. Without their help-I would have had miscarriage after miscarriage after miscarriage.

What are your views?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No, I with my taxes should not have to pay for some people to go through fertility treatments.
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I believe they should. Yes, having children is a choice but infertility isn’t. When insurers cover birth control, abortions, vasectomies etc. why shouldn’t they cover infertility? Once insurers start covering these services the costs would also be driven down. $15000 for IVF, come on, it likely costs the clinic maybe $2000 in labor, and supplies.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I went through infertility and no I don't think it should be covered in all honesty. You don't *have* to have children. Does infertility suck? Absolutely. That does not mean that people are entitled to have children. Having children is a choice. It is not necessary like a life saving measure is IMO.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t think infertility is comparable to obesity or alcoholism. In the case of infertility it would be nice to see the money go towards a good cause like adoption of unwanted children already born. I’m sure prolife people don’t worry about the life of a child that can’t even be conceived and worry a little more about those already conceived.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. What would be next, breast implants and plastic surgery? Insurance is already too expensive for most people. This would make it more money.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No insurance shouldn't have to cover it

I think abortions should be covered by insurance everywhere tho. Here they are free and covered at an public hospital by Medicare
RedBottoms

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 am I went through infertility and no I don't think it should be covered in all honesty. You don't *have* to have children. Does infertility suck? Absolutely. That does not mean that people are entitled to have children. Having children is a choice. It is not necessary like a life saving measure is IMO.
But you have no problem covering drug addicts to go to rehab 10 times? That was a choice too. They chose to use drugs.
RedBottoms

Unread post

CandTmom wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:56 am No. What would be next, breast implants and plastic surgery? Insurance is already too expensive for most people. This would make it more money.
Sometimes those ARE covered. A woman that has breast cancer and has to have her breasts removed can get fake ones covered by insurance to be put in after her real ones are removed.

A person with a deviated septum can get a nose job covered
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No. As a person who also has PCOS, I make sure to work for a company that has good enough insurance that it covers some of that. I dont think it should be required for every insurance company.
Locked Previous topicNext topic