Maybe it's time to let her go

jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Keep in mind, if your dh IS on the spectrum, getting him to put her down isn't going to be easy. It's also not something you want to push as he will associate you with her death down the road.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 pm If it's a cancerous tumor, then the likelihood that it has spread to her organs is a strong possibility. An x-ray will determine that. If it's a harmless fatty tumor, and it's bothering her, surgical removal is her best option even though she's a senior dog. They can safely anesthetize her even at her age as long as her heart is sound. Are you going to go with him to the vets?
No I'm not going with him however I will have to help lay her in a blanket and lift her into the car because she can't get in on her own and yup its bothering her. She started sneaking in our room at night again and she vomited twice today so something is going on.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 pm Keep in mind, if your dh IS on the spectrum, getting him to put her down isn't going to be easy. It's also not something you want to push as he will associate you with her death down the road.
I know. I already mentioned it once and I don't plan to bring it up again. I just hope the vet does. The dog is literally on her last days imo.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:33 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 pm If it's a cancerous tumor, then the likelihood that it has spread to her organs is a strong possibility. An x-ray will determine that. If it's a harmless fatty tumor, and it's bothering her, surgical removal is her best option even though she's a senior dog. They can safely anesthetize her even at her age as long as her heart is sound. Are you going to go with him to the vets?
No I'm not going with him however I will have to help lay her in a blanket and lift her into the car because she can't get in on her own and yup its bothering her. She started sneaking in our room at night again and she vomited twice today so something is going on.
It sounds like her quality of life is being affected and it sounds like it might be cancerous because fatty tumors don't just 'pop up' overnight.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

An animal is NOT just a "thing" that is falling apart!" How would you feel if it were YOU who was older and ill? Many dogs live longer than this one.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:18 pm
RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am I made a post about the large tumor on the dog. I noticed it about a week ago and it's looking pretty bad so my SO will take her to the vet in a few hours. I know people said if it's not bothering her then its probably best to leave her alone because she is so old but now shes biting and licking it all day long.. Shes almost 14 years old so what are the chances of them putting her down versus surgery? And if she does get it removed how bad will aftercare be? Do they have something like a recovery home for dogs?
With her age I wouldn't do the surgery. I had a dog that was 13 yrs old. She had a tumor doggy version of breast cancer.. the vet didn't tell me it was risky to put her under to remove them. She didn't come out of anesthesia. I talked to another vet they told me they should have never put her under. She was to old or i should have at least been informed that it was risky due to her age.
Wow sorry to hear that.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:15 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am
RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am Of course he will be upset and I will be here to comfort him. I've been posting about my SO being a hoarder for years. He also has major anxiety among other mental issues. He literally will have a panic attack when he has to get rid of things or start a new routine so I know he will try to hold on to the dog until the very last min.

If the dog gets surgery she will need aftercare so that's why i asked about the recovery home, I dont expect her to stay there forever.
You are hollow. People don't try to save their dog because they can't get rid of "things"...she's not a worn out bedspread. People LOVE their dogs. You know, how you're supposed to love your children.
I disagree with you.
Coming from you that's not surprising. Pets are not a worn out item like she said. She is part of his family and was before he made the mistake of dating you. He has an emotional attachment to her because he loves her.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My SIL has an old dog covered in visible tumors. One even ruptured, into this horrible bruise, and she did think, “oh my gosh, it’s time.” But the dog perked right back up. He is has lived for another year now.

My kitty had squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth, and we had to put her down because the tumor was metastasizing and impairing her ability to eat. It was so sad.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am
MonarchMom wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:26 am
RealisticBeauty wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:21 am
She's a rottweiler and I think it's time to let her go. I just need to get my SO on board with it. He hates getting rid of things even if they are falling apart.
Not sure if you meant to imply the dog is a "thing" that is "falling apart" .... He has had this dog for 14 years, and will most likely be upset either way. The dog may be in pain, and need to be put down - that may be heartbreaking for him. Or the dog may need a simple treatment and come home, and need time with him fussing over his recovering dog.

I would not assume the dog will disappear into a "recovery" home, or just no longer be a part of his life.
Of course he will be upset and I will be here to comfort him. I've been posting about my SO being a hoarder for years. He also has major anxiety among other mental issues. He literally will have a panic attack when he has to get rid of things or start a new routine so I know he will try to hold on to the dog until the very last min.

If the dog gets surgery she will need aftercare so that's why i asked about the recovery home, I dont expect her to stay there forever.
You really need to stop diagnosing him based on your Google education. Contrary to what you think you do have to actually go to college and get a degree in the field to be qualified to do so. You have discussed this several times on here about how you read about it on the internet. It's actually normal for loving pet owners to not want to give up on their pets and try to help them. What's not normal is to be so heartless you want rid of the dog because it likes meatballs. You are the one with the issues not your SO.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My dog had a tumor. It was malignant and they refused to remove it due to his age (14). The said that until it started to bother him or we noticed his quality of life getting bad he was fine, he lived one year and we put him down after getting three opinions.
He was falling over for no reason. He would just be sitting there and falling over.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic