My daughter isn't happy that I'm getting a job

Anonymous 1

Unread post

This is mostly a vent so my daughter is 9 and I have stayed home with her since she was born. I was going to go back to work when she started kindergarten but she had ear infection and then strep issues and missed school a lot so I waited. This year has been better so I applied at our school district and am in the process of becoming a substitute and hopefully that will end up a full or part time position next year. My daughter isn't happy and keeps saying how she wishes I could just stay home. She doesn't do well with change and we've had a lot of changes besides this recently. She keeps bringing it up and even after answering questions or changing the subject she's at it again. I don't really know what to say to her at this point.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Suck it up Buttercup, lol
Why does she want you at home when she's at school?
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Awww, I completely understand. I trust she will make the adjustments. Use it as a learning tool. Change is both inevitable, necessary and needed.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

There isn't much to say. It's something she will have to adjust to.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd just say I see this bothers you and I understand why. Change is hard. You'll have school and I'll have work in a similar way. We'll get through it. There's nothing more to say. She'll acclimate.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would listen to her concerns and tell her I understand. And then let her maintain some control & choices of her schedule. We also have always tried to talk about our jobs and careers like the blessings and the awesome things they are. My children would likely be the same way, if I announced I was quitting, lol.

Maybe give maybe DD something to look forward to. “After I have been working for a month, let’a use part of the money to go get manicures OR a shopping trip for you and me, which do you want?” But I am materialistic, lol, so maybe that is not such a good idea?!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 pm I would listen to her concerns and tell her I understand. And then let her maintain some control & choices of her schedule. We also have always tried to talk about our jobs and careers like the blessings and the awesome things they are. My children would likely be the same way, if I announced I was quitting, lol.

Maybe give maybe DD something to look forward to. “After I have been working for a month, let’a use part of the money to go get manicures OR a shopping trip for you and me, which do you want?” But I am materialistic, lol, so maybe that is not such a good idea?!
I used to hate if my parents were between jobs. In my mind that meant they'd be all up in my business lol. When they were working I was a latch key kid and while I didn't cause trouble I also wanted to go to the store whenever I wanted, to a friend's house, or do my chores when I felt like it lol.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

My daughter doesn't do well with change either. She's probably worried about how her routine is going to be affected. Talk to her about the plans you have in place. For instance, how does she get home from school now? Does she take the bus or do you pick her up? What kind of child care arrangements are you going to use? Are you going to use her school's after school care program or will you rely on a sitter to greet her when she gets home?
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's so bizarre to me. Isn't she in school the whole time anyway? I work 9-5 and I see DS off to school and get home before him most days. I realize it's not the same for everyone but it is not that big of a deal. No one likes change but it's just part of life. Idk, my mom worked on and off when I was a kid and I couldn't have cared less. I kind of liked when she wasn't up my ass, lol.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm confused on the timeline. She is in first grade now as a 9 year old? Or she had several years of ear infection/strep issues and is in a higher grade now? Does she have any developmental issues?
Locked Previous topicNext topic