Does pumping get easier?

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't really find it hard per say but it's uncomfortable.

I found out today that DS has a lip tie. My older DS and my cousin both had tongue ties so I am not surprised this one has a lip tie. It makes it hard for him to latch.

So I have been pumping and like I said it's just uncomfortable. I got more this last time than before. I give him that and supplement with formula. I'm going to call the recommended pediatric dentist tomorrow to set up a consult to get his tie fixed.

Does it ever get not uncomfortable? Again it's not painful. Also are there breast pads you can use without a bra? I hate wearing bras if I don't have to.

I'm also not feeling any "let down" as they call it. They said it would tingle. But I don't feel anything. I'm still at the hospital and using their pump.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

I found it easiest to pump with a manual pump. I just felt like it worked faster and it drained my milk much better than an electric one.
Is this your first time pumping?
RedBottoms

Unread post

I wish I had some good advice or encouragement but I don't. I never was able to figure it out and I did it for two months. I never really got a lot of milk and I kept spilling it and I had to take my whole top off to do it and it took FOREVER. But I think my milk was fucked up because of hormonal issues.

Hang in there and hope it gets better
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

You are what, like 36 hours post-partum? Your milk probably hasn't come in, don't expect let down. Even if it has, not everyone feels "tingly" let down. You'll know it when the milk starts flowing faster.

Yes, like nursing, pumping gets easier for many women.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pumping was hit and miss for me. Hopefully someone has some advice that’ll be helpful for you.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are you seeing a lactation consultant?

I am no help, although I did not enjoy pumping, I had the exact opposite problem of most women. I had enough milk to drown octoplets.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Try to elongate your nipple so the baby can suckle easier. I found out two years ago all my kids are lip tied to a certain extent and it made nursing painful.
Make sure the pump horn is the right size. Massaging the breast will help and trying to have the baby nurse on the other breast will help.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 pm I found it easiest to pump with a manual pump. I just felt like it worked faster and it drained my milk much better than an electric one.
Is this your first time pumping?
Yes. It did seem a little less uncomfortable when I pumped a bit ago. But man my boobs are sore lol. It doesn't help they are big to begin with. I feel like I went and got breast implants overnight lol.
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Yes. I exclusively pump for my almost 10 month old. I didn’t feel let downs until a few weeks in. In the beginning until I got my supply to where I wanted it, I did supplement too. He has a mild lip tie and I have one breast that has a flat nipple. Direct nursing didn’t work out for us
NotACatfish
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

A few tips

Get your pumping flange sized properly. A LC can help you with that. If you pump long term, the size can increase on you randomly. You’ll know when it does because it’ll go from comfortable to pump to painful

Use lube to pump. I put coconut oil or lanolin on my nipples and the flanges before pumping until they got used to it.

Try massaging while the electric pump does its job. You’ll get more milk, empty faster, and trigger more letdowns.

Make sure you’re drinking enough water and eating enough. Breastfeeding burns about 20 calories for every ounce you produce. You can use that to get an estimate of how many extra calories you may need

Oats are great supply boosters. Regular breakfast oatmeal, Oatmeal pies, cookies, etc.

The best supply booster though is regular breast emptying. Try to pump every 2-3 hours for 15-20+minutes or when baby eats.

Lastly, don’t quit on a hard day. I almost quit after a moth because I didn’t think I’d end up making enough. Well I actually ended up making about double what he eats. I have a freezer stock to last him a while. Use a pumping log. It’ll keep you motivated and let you see how much you’re producing from day to day.
Locked Previous topicNext topic