Is 18 really the proper legal adult age? should we change it?

RedBottoms

Unread post

Spin off of other post. I can't remember if we ever discussed this before on here or not

So it seems like more and more 18 is not considered a legal adult anymore. Yes, you are tried as an adult at 18 and go to regular prison. Yes, you can be kicked out of your parent's house at 18 maybe. Yes you can sign contracts and go to military at 18.

But you can't drink till 21. You can't rent a car till 25. Often times more and more, child support is being ordered to 21 now instead of 18. A lot of parents red shirt their kids so that the kids are not graduating high school till 19 or even 20. My kids will probably be the only ones in their grade not 18 till they graduate. Most of those kids will be 18 or 19 at graduation as around here a lot of parents hold their kids back and don't start kindy till 6.

You have to keep your kids on insurance till like 26 or something like that.

So what are the implications of this? Do you think the age of adultdom is going to eventually shift to 21 or 19 or 20 etc? Do you think we will change 18 being an adult? And how does it make sense to be considered an adult for one thing-but not another? How can you pick and choose?

I predict in my lifetime I am going to see it switch to 21. I just see that happening. I feel we are already moving towards that.

They keep dumbing down or babying the younger generation more and more. Like when I turned 16, I got my liscense with no restrictions. But now in our state there are a million and 1 restrictions for young drivers-you can't drive after certain hours. You can't drive around any non family members. Things like that.

So what are you thoughts on this? I thought this could make for an interesting discussion.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Some kids are adults at 18 or younger but some never grow up. Tough question. I think 18 is too young to serve in the military but they like them young enough to not question what they are told to do.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I disagree with most of that, and no, I don’t see it shifting to a higher age.
You aren’t required to keep your kids on your insurance until 26, you’re allowed to if you choose to.
You generally can’t rent a car until you’re 25 due to the rules of private rental companies which they have in place due to insurance requirements. There’s no law regarding that. Insurance is just more expensive for those under 25, and always has been.
I totally disagree with child support being ordered until age 21, and it’s not common in my area. In fact, I’d never heard of it until CM. The norm in my area is 18 or graduation, whichever is later.
In my state, a minor is also legally allowed to drink with their non minor parent or spouse. If a 19 year old wants to have a drink with their 21 year old spouse, it’s completely legal.
My kids range from age 30 - 33 and have been taking care of their business forever. I know someone with kids the same age who are still at home. My kids know that laying up at mom’s house isn’t an option. I think more kids should be taught that. You don’t have to do anything, and you can be a bum with nothing if you choose, but you’re not going to do it at home. I think most “kids” will get out there and do just fine.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Studies show the human brain continues developing until our mid-20s. At 18, our brains still function as they do throughout our teens, meaning we lack certain cognitive abilities to make mature choices.
So yes, I think the legal age of adulthood should be risen to at least 21.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's ridiculous. I've never even heard of anyone wanting to change the age of being an adult, that just sounds like some stupid idea a bored sahm thought up. Why do you even care how old the other kids are when they graduate?
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would hate to be a kid if they change the adult age to 21. We all looked forward to turning 18.
RedBottoms

Unread post

bluebunnybabe wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am I disagree with most of that, and no, I don’t see it shifting to a higher age.
You aren’t required to keep your kids on your insurance until 26, you’re allowed to if you choose to.
You generally can’t rent a car until you’re 25 due to the rules of private rental companies which they have in place due to insurance requirements. There’s no law regarding that. Insurance is just more expensive for those under 25, and always has been.
I totally disagree with child support being ordered until age 21, and it’s not common in my area. In fact, I’d never heard of it until CM. The norm in my area is 18 or graduation, whichever is later.
In my state, a minor is also legally allowed to drink with their non minor parent or spouse. If a 19 year old wants to have a drink with their 21 year old spouse, it’s completely legal.
My kids range from age 30 - 33 and have been taking care of their business forever. I know someone with kids the same age who are still at home. My kids know that laying up at mom’s house isn’t an option. I think more kids should be taught that. You don’t have to do anything, and you can be a bum with nothing if you choose, but you’re not going to do it at home. I think most “kids” will get out there and do just fine.
what state do you live in? I know someone who was married at 17 and was not even allowed to get into an R rated movie with her 19 year old husband. They don't care how adult or independent you are in TN-if you don't meet the age requirement you are breaking the law. Pretty sure a 20 year old married to a 21 year old would still go to jail if they caught her drinking and they would try to charge the 21 year old for giving her the alcohol.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:27 am
bluebunnybabe wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am I disagree with most of that, and no, I don’t see it shifting to a higher age.
what state do you live in? I know someone who was married at 17 and was not even allowed to get into an R rated movie with her 19 year old husband. They don't care how adult or independent you are in TN-if you don't meet the age requirement you are breaking the law. Pretty sure a 20 year old married to a 21 year old would still go to jail if they caught her drinking and they would try to charge the 21 year old for giving her the alcohol.
Texas. Again though, I could be wrong, but I think that the movie theater example is a private business’s rules.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:14 am Studies show the human brain continues developing until our mid-20s. At 18, our brains still function as they do throughout our teens, meaning we lack certain cognitive abilities to make mature choices.
So yes, I think the legal age of adulthood should be risen to at least 21.
I'm in agreement with you, largely based on the science. Plus, I just don't think you've had enough life experience at 18 to make major decisions.

My middle niece will turn 18 in March and she's very collected and mature. My sister and I joke that she's a middle aged lady like us. I still feel as though she'd need guidance for major life choices at 18, even though she is very pulled together.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am That's ridiculous. I've never even heard of anyone wanting to change the age of being an adult, that just sounds like some stupid idea a bored sahm thought up. Why do you even care how old the other kids are when they graduate?
oh really?

https://www.debate.org/opinions/should- ... ised-to-21

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 400065001/

https://chronicleofsocialchange.org/you ... egislation

https://www.quora.com/Should-we-raise-t ... king-to-18

I am clearly not the only one thinking about it. Its been a common discussed thing lately.

And I never said I supported it. I just said I see it happening as my prediction.

I personally just think they should pick an age and settle on that being the age for EVERYTHING. It can be whatever age-but pick an age and stick with it. So if they chose 20 then child support goes to 20, military is 20, drinking is 20, cigs are 20, contracts are 20. You get my point.

I think it should be one across the board age-but I honestly don't know what that age should be. I just want consistency.
Locked Previous topicNext topic