Welfare

RedBottoms

Unread post

caustib wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:02 am I support a guarenteed general income, and just do away with all the other rules and regulations. Here’s your money, you do what you want, live where you can live, and eat what you want to eat. So much beuracracy is not necessary. People can make choices, good or bad , for themselves.
The thing that would concern me about that is the people who will not take care of their kids, no matter how you cut it. No one wants kids to suffer, so we would just come full circle and have the guaranteed income plus a ton of other programs to back up the people that mishandle it.
it happens anyway. My little sister in the Big Sister Little Sister program was not being taken care of. Her mother got Section 8, food stamps, healthcare, etc and yet that child was not being fed. She was as skinny as a rail and every time I tried to take her somewhere she would be literally starving. In her own words "My mom and Daddy (who was not supposed to be living there) and big sister eat all the food. And you could see that was true. Mom and Dad were morbidly obese. I am talking 400+ pounds. Her older teen sister was getting chubby. My little sister and her brother were skinny as rails. The food was basically passed down from oldest to youngest and the younger ones never got much.

So bad parents are going to bad parent regardless.

My good friend grew up dirt poor and the stories she has told me............Her Dad sold her favorite care bear right out of her arms at a yard sale to make a quick buck to buy cigs. He would resale the charity stuff they got from Toys for Tots. He made her get a job at 15 the day she was able and then took her entire paychecks and bought soda and cigs and stuff for himself with it.

You can't make poor people be good parents.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I believe now if the father isn't living in the home and a mother signs up for assistance, the mother has to give the name of the father. However, a Jewish community in New Jersey was arrested for abusing the system. and more needs to be done with mental illness. A lot of people on welfare suffer some sort of mental illness that makes him/her underemployable or unemployable.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

While this is very true, it has little to do with income. There are rich parents who are crappy but they're able to hide it.
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:02 am I support a guarenteed general income, and just do away with all the other rules and regulations. Here’s your money, you do what you want, live where you can live, and eat what you want to eat. So much beuracracy is not necessary. People can make choices, good or bad , for themselves.
The thing that would concern me about that is the people who will not take care of their kids, no matter how you cut it. No one wants kids to suffer, so we would just come full circle and have the guaranteed income plus a ton of other programs to back up the people that mishandle it.
it happens anyway. My little sister in the Big Sister Little Sister program was not being taken care of. Her mother got Section 8, food stamps, healthcare, etc and yet that child was not being fed. She was as skinny as a rail and every time I tried to take her somewhere she would be literally starving. In her own words "My mom and Daddy (who was not supposed to be living there) and big sister eat all the food. And you could see that was true. Mom and Dad were morbidly obese. I am talking 400+ pounds. Her older teen sister was getting chubby. My little sister and her brother were skinny as rails. The food was basically passed down from oldest to youngest and the younger ones never got much.

My good friend grew up dirt poor and the stories she has told me............Her Dad sold her favorite care bear right out of her arms at a yard sale to make a quick buck to buy cigs. He would resale the charity stuff they got from Toys for Tots. He made her get a job at 15 the day she was able and then took her entire paychecks and bought soda and cigs and stuff for himself with it.

RedBottoms

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am I believe now if the father isn't living in the home and a mother signs up for assistance, the mother has to give the name of the father. However, a Jewish community in New Jersey was arrested for abusing the system. and more needs to be done with mental illness. A lot of people on welfare suffer some sort of mental illness that makes him/her underemployable or unemployable.
My friend tried to sign up for TNcare for her DD years and years ago. She was a single mother who got knocked up from a one night stand. The guy at first denied the kid and would not have anything to do with her. But eventually asked to come around and she flipped out and would not let him. Baby was maybe 14 months when he tried to start a relationship. She was mad he did not kiss her ass when she was pregnant and shit. I explained to her they were not together so he did not owe her that.

Anyway, she tried to sign up her DD for TNcare when she was about 3 and they told her she would have to name the father and they had to go after him for child support first. But she flipped out because she knew if he paid child support-he could also go for custody or visitation. So she turned down the health care and figured out how to pay for private insurance.

Maybe if we held more moms accountable for stuff-they would magically find solutions like my friend did
Anonymous 6

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am
hotspice58 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am I believe now if the father isn't living in the home and a mother signs up for assistance, the mother has to give the name of the father. However, a Jewish community in New Jersey was arrested for abusing the system. and more needs to be done with mental illness. A lot of people on welfare suffer some sort of mental illness that makes him/her underemployable or unemployable.
My friend tried to sign up for TNcare for her DD years and years ago. She was a single mother who got knocked up from a one night stand. The guy at first denied the kid and would not have anything to do with her. But eventually asked to come around and she flipped out and would not let him. Baby was maybe 14 months when he tried to start a relationship. She was mad he did not kiss her ass when she was pregnant and shit. I explained to her they were not together so he did not owe her that.

Anyway, she tried to sign up her DD for TNcare when she was about 3 and they told her she would have to name the father and they had to go after him for child support first. But she flipped out because she knew if he paid child support-he could also go for custody or visitation. So she turned down the health care and figured out how to pay for private insurance.

Maybe if we held more moms accountable for stuff-they would magically find solutions like my friend did

They don't go after the father when you get tn care and in the state of Tennessee visitation and child support are two completely different court. Meaning a parent can get child support but the ncp would have to take them to a different court for visitation
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I do not understand. Currently people have their children removed from their care all the time. Communities have to have massive backpack programs, because despite food vouchers, children supposedly are starving & food insecure. So how are all these regulations, which actually cost much more money, benefitting the poor youth?
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am

They don't go after the father when you get tn care and in the state of Tennessee visitation and child support are two completely different court. Meaning a parent can get child support but the ncp would have to take them to a different court for visitation
Everyone knows that most judges are going to order visitation or custody if the father asks for it and is clean and sober and is paying child support. He would have got it. He came from a well off family just like she did. The judge would have ordered at least visitation and my friend would have lost her damn mind. I would have had to commit her. She never let her DD out of her sight and the idea of the Dad taking her off for a whole day would have literally put her in the looney bin. I have talked about this friend before. She homeschooled her DD because she missed her during the day..........she had issues.
RedBottoms

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am
I do not understand. Currently people have their children removed from their care all the time. Communities have to have massive backpack programs, because despite food vouchers, children supposedly are starving & food insecure. So how are all these regulations, which actually cost much more money, benefitting the poor youth?
it will be just like now. These families receive free breakfast and lunch for their kids at school and food stamps and go to food banks and yet the kids still don't get fed.............because the F***ing parents are lazy or they eat all the food themselves or they sell the food to make a buck.

I know plenty of people who make deals where "I will let you buy $100 of groceries with my food stamp card-if you give me $50 cash". I was standing right there when my friend and her other friend made that deal.

Again you can't ever make bad parents be good parents and CPS won't take them from their parents in most cases.

There is no real answer besides bringing back orphanages and going to a dictatorship communist thing where we sterilize people and don't let them have kids if they can't take care of them.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

That was essentially what I was getting at, I just didn't word it well I guess. A universal income would just increase the cost, without improving results, because you can't force people to be responsible.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am
I guess I'm not wording it well. I think a universal income would just increase costs, without improving results, because you can't force people to be responsible. So we would need to fund the income, plus all of the supplemental programs you are naming.
Locked Previous topicNext topic