Welfare

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Comment in another post made me think. If you could change just ONE thing about the welfare system, what would you change first?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

1. Stepping off of it instead of taking it all away at once.
2. It being a true hand up instead of a hand out.
3. Different figures used to determine benefits.
4. Free (religion-free) finance class geared to help the person take control of their financial health.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

It's hard to pick just one. But I would have to say true universal health care. I would rather see other programs that are abused get cut than for people to go without health care because they can't afford it or can't afford insurance.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Not just one set income limit. It would be graduated. You make X amount you get healthcare, daycare, food stamps and Section 8. You make Y amount you lose Section 8 but keep the rest. You make Z amount you lose food stamps but keep the rest etc etc

So people are slowly weaned off as they make more money and people are still motivated to work and better themselves.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

All able-bodied people have to be working or genuinely looking for work. I'm 100% fine with spending way more on passing out childcare vouchers, bus passes and vouchers for other types of transportation. Yes, I already know that everyone on this board lives 357 miles from the nearest bus, but just as many people live near public transportation. Something else can be figured out for rural people.

No more making so many babies that it's impossible to work because of childcare costs while you sit at home collecting a million different programs. Nope, you're getting a job. Make another baby? S/he goes to daycare like plenty of other children of working people.

Working brings more self-respect, more work experience, a chance for promotions, possible tuition reimbursement if your employer offers it and you want to go to school and it sets an example other than a cycle of bringing multiple children into poverty, living off the government. I grew up in that ridiculous environment and it's long past time to work towards eliminating it.

I know people will fight the idea of actually working with miles long lists of excuses, but it won't change my mind.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 am Not just one set income limit. It would be graduated. You make X amount you get healthcare, daycare, food stamps and Section 8. You make Y amount you lose Section 8 but keep the rest. You make Z amount you lose food stamps but keep the rest etc etc

So people are slowly weaned off as they make more money and people are still motivated to work and better themselves.
Agreed with this.
Except I've never had all of that. I had food stamps for like 3 months and Medicaid for the kids. The second I made too much money they yanked it away from me. No transition. Actually, they yanked it away from me 3 months before the approved end date for my kids CHIP coverage. It really pissed me off.
Anonymous2.0
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Not allowing people to use it as a means to stay home. Get a job. A full time job. And include incomes of the fathers or boyfriends (or moms/girlfriends) if they aren’t married. Too many people don’t get married just so they don’t have to claim the other income. BS. You are not a single mom. Or dad. You just want a freaking handout.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd like to see something for people who make just a bit too much for help. Idk what. Like some people, they only make 5 bucks too much for help. That has always seemed like bullshit to me.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous2.0 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:49 am Not allowing people to use it as a means to stay home. Get a job. A full time job. And include incomes of the fathers or boyfriends (or moms/girlfriends) if they aren’t married. Too many people don’t get married just so they don’t have to claim the other income. BS. You are not a single mom. Or dad. You just want a freaking handout.
Oh its bad. The women always go sign up for ALL the welfare and say they are all alone and have no man blah blah to help pay for their kids. But there is always a man over there at the government paid for house eating the food stamps food. Seen it with my own eyes when I would pick up my Little Sister from the Big Sisters Program.

The guy running the program even told me that the Dad is not supposed to be living there. But the child was always starving and had not been fed but oh the mom and Dad were both morbidly obese. Those food stamps were to feed the kids-but that is not who they were feeding.

My mom used to volunteer with her church bringing food and other things to the people living in the government housing and she used to report on them when she would stop by and the man was staying there because its part of the rules that if these women claim to be single mothers-then they cannot have a man living there.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Increasing benefits each time a woman decides to have another child. Their poor choices should not be rewarded with more money.
Locked Previous topicNext topic