Period tracking applications

Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmj6j3d8xjjo
The study examined the privacy policies and data safety labels of 20 of the most popular of these kind of apps, which are commonly used to help women conceive.

It found a host of poor data-management practices, including some apps not having a delete function, even for highly personal information such as menstrual cycles and miscarriages.

"Mismanaging or leaking reproductive health data can lead to dire consequences, with blackmail, discrimination, and violence being among the worst," she added.

The issue of reproductive health data is particularly sensitive in the US following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn the constitutional right to an abortion.

Some privacy experts are concerned that data from menstrual tracking apps could be used to prosecute anyone seeking to terminate a pregnancy.

Other key findings from the study include:

35% of apps claimed not to share personal data with third parties but contradicted this in their privacy policies

50% assured users that health data would not be shared with advertisers, but were ambiguous about other data collected

45% of privacy policies denied responsibility for third-party practices, despite claiming to vet them.
My question:

What do you tell your daughters about this sort of thing?
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Nothing. My daughters are adults. They are also very intelligent. I trust they’ll make the best choices for their situation. When they were younger, these things weren’t as popular as these days. Hell - smart phones weren’t popular until my youngest daughter hit 14-15.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't see the government trying to ban them like Tik Tok.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

You're living under a rock if you don't think everything about us isn't tracked somewhere. Besides unless you put in that you had an abortion how are they going to know? It could be a miscarriage or just irregular periods.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Our daughter's are 37 and 26 with the younger of the two being a mom of two kid's.

They have known for as long as apps have been around to never trust ANYTHING on the Internet with private information ever.
just an old coot 😉🌵
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I tell my daughter that everything she says in our house, watches & clicks online is being tracked for marketing & big data.

I think the risk of discrimination, violence, or legal prosecution in the US is quite rare and blown out of proportion in the aftermath of Roe vs. Wade decision. I think the risk is less than the benefit or being able to plan for life & symptoms with an app. My daughter is not sexually active yet though, so I guess i can revisit the topic, when that changes.

I use the Garmin app, and am quite certain, they are not providing my menstrual cycle data to some prosecuting attorney.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

How is someone going to blackmail you by knowing when your period starts?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My daughter is the one who brought it up to me.

The concern is not that the app is going to tell on you. The concern is that they could be used as evidence *if* you have an abortion and *if* someone tells on you for it. While it's possible, there is no case that would be able to rely only on this data, so they'd have to evidence that we had an abortion, evidence that we travelled outside of the state for one, etc.

We talked about it in depth and decided that ultimately, the risk is worth the benefit. She needs to be able to track her period and she's not going to do it on paper.

What I told my daughter is to not have S*x with anyone that would have an issue with her having an abortion in the event that she conceived an unwanted pregnancy.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This is our life now. The convenience of online and internet and apps comes at the price of our privacy. There is always going to be a privacy risk no matter what. Each person needs to decide for themselves just how much risk they want to take. Like me, I don't have a banking app on my phone. I do all my online banking at home on my laptop because I don't want to risk someone getting ahold of my phone and getting access. Others can make their same choices about which apps they trust and which they don't.

As for period tracking, I did it years ago before apps were a thing. I did it on paper including tracking my daily temps and cervical mucus. I have no clue how the apps work but honestly I'm having a hard time understanding what someone could do with all that information. It doesn't make sense to me.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:44 pm My daughter is the one who brought it up to me.

The concern is not that the app is going to tell on you. The concern is that they could be used as evidence *if* you have an abortion and *if* someone tells on you for it. While it's possible, there is no case that would be able to rely only on this data, so they'd have to evidence that we had an abortion, evidence that we travelled outside of the state for one, etc.

We talked about it in depth and decided that ultimately, the risk is worth the benefit. She needs to be able to track her period and she's not going to do it on paper.

What I told my daughter is to not have S*x with anyone that would have an issue with her having an abortion in the event that she conceived an unwanted pregnancy.
Or she could just...not have an abortion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic