Age discrimination is illegal

Anonymous 1

But the reality of the job search is that older individuals face age discrimination all the time.

Someone recently posted in a group dedicated to job alerts and job searches in our area on FB, seeking full time employment. She mentioned that she is 65 but still young looking, strong, and vibrant. People tore her apart for mentioning this, but she responded that she has applied to hundreds of jobs over the last year and is not getting calls back. She follows up frequently, too. But time and time again, she finds out those jobs are filled and when she goes to the location, it is always young people who are new hires. She believes she is being discriminated against because of her age. People see her age on paper/on the online listings and do not bother.

I believe the onus should be on the employer to make sure they aren't discriminated against, not the applicant to make sure they aren't being discriminated against. But what is an older person to do if they think this is what is happening to them?
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unfortunately the older person is the one who has the burden of proof. Is it happening every day, of course.

My Dad experienced this when the medical center he worked for went through a mass lay off. He was over 60 and could get the interview, but never the job. So he ended up retiring earlier than he would have.

My brother in law may have experienced this in his mid 50’s when his department was downsized. He had a large severance package and unemployment but it took him nearly a year to find a suitable replacement.

Sigh.
Anonymous 2

It's been happening to me since 55.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Do you submit your age when you apply for a job? Reason I ask is it is illegal in Canada to ask for a persons age.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 am Do you submit your age when you apply for a job? Reason I ask is it is illegal in Canada to ask for a persons age.
Many hiring interviews ask for college or high school transcripts. That pretty much reveals your age.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

MonarchMom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:05 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 am Do you submit your age when you apply for a job? Reason I ask is it is illegal in Canada to ask for a persons age.
Many hiring interviews ask for college or high school transcripts. That pretty much reveals your age.
Really? Never have I been asked here. But of course when you have 25 years experience in your field it screams your age as well.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm
Really? Never have I been asked here. But of course when you have 25 years experience in your field it screams your age as well.
Indeed it does. And when I was asked I had to dig up a paper copy of my college transcripts as digital files did not exist when I graduated!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Age discrimination is illegal, but hard to prove. But there are things one can do to protect themselves from it. In the case of this FB lady, is she revealing her age in her resume/applications? If so, she needs to stop immediately. They legally can not ask her for her age or her birth date in the application process, but if she is giving it anyway they will use it and they will likely pass her up because they see it as investing time and money in her for her to just retire in a year anyway. Obviously they are going to go with someone younger who has a greater chance of still being there in 5-10 years.

Other general tips for resumes and applications to not give away your age.

- if you have more than 10 years work experience, you can list your college degree but don't list any dates. Dates will set your age right away.

- if you have way more experience than the job is asking for, don't list the full number of years. If it's asking for 5+ years experience only say something in the range of 10 - 15. If it's asking for 2-3 years experience give something in the 5-10 range. You may think "30 years experience" is pretty awesome and shows you know what you are doing, but it really only ages you. Just give a level more than what they are looking for to illustrate that you know what to do.

There could be other things too about the lady's application / resume that are getting it thrown out. There is a lot of competition right now, and having a crappy work history, or having a recent long period of no work, can get you thrown out even before age does. Sometimes people use age as a crutch when really they just have a crappy resume that no employer would want to give the time of day.

If your area has resources to help people with their resumes and job hunting skills and interview skills this lady may want to go check those out.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Curious. I've never been asked for my transcripts, not even my first job out of college. I honestly wouldn't even know how to get them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

??

Every job application I have ever seen asks for a birthdate. Are you serious, lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic