Do you ever silently cheer when your kids are a smart ass?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My SS is 15. He seems to have two modes. Sweet and Caring or obnoxious and rude. There doesn't seem to be an in between.
He goes to a small private school. There are 15 kids in the sophomore class. He is #1 in his class.

DD is 16. She goes to a regular public school. There are 512 in her class. She is number 42 in her class.

SS was bragging about being #1 in his class the other day and DD told him that it wasn't hard to do in a small private school with only 15 kids in his class. She went on to tell him that the fact that there were no AP classes or dual credit doesn't help his claim. He said that at least he wasn't 42. She told him you can't compare apples and cats. He may or may not be #1 in a larger school. But she was damn happy with 42 in a class of 512.

Silently, I cheered. He is always bragging about his standings in school. We have told him before that private school is a different animal.

DD flat out refused private school. None of the schools here offer what she really wants. Her life is performing arts.
Jskidmore1946
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Sometimes I do it allowed. Other times I give them a high five
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't think she was being a smart ass, she was just giving him facts. If he didn't like them, that's his issue not her's.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 1

Unread post

stilltfez wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:51 pm I don't think she was being a smart ass, she was just giving him facts. If he didn't like them, that's his issue not her's.
Her tone was pretty smart ass. But honestly, she wasn't ugly to him. She just told him how it was. He definitely didn't like it. He is a smart kid and the school he goes to is pretty good. But that doesn't change that he may not be #1 in a school with a lot more kids.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't really see how that is being a smart ass, she just stated her case to explain why there is a difference between the two schools and she doesn't feel bad about her grades. I would not have an issue with that. I do not take pride in my kids being rude or mean.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:03 pm I don't really see how that is being a smart ass, she just stated her case to explain why there is a difference between the two schools and she doesn't feel bad about her grades. I would not have an issue with that. I do not take pride in my kids being rude or mean.
This is what I was thinking when I first read the post.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:40 pm My SS is 15. He seems to have two modes. Sweet and Caring or obnoxious and rude. There doesn't seem to be an in between.
He goes to a small private school. There are 15 kids in the sophomore class. He is #1 in his class.

DD is 16. She goes to a regular public school. There are 512 in her class. She is number 42 in her class.

SS was bragging about being #1 in his class the other day and DD told him that it wasn't hard to do in a small private school with only 15 kids in his class. She went on to tell him that the fact that there were no AP classes or dual credit doesn't help his claim. He said that at least he wasn't 42. She told him you can't compare apples and cats. He may or may not be #1 in a larger school. But she was damn happy with 42 in a class of 512.

Silently, I cheered. He is always bragging about his standings in school. We have told him before that private school is a different animal.

DD flat out refused private school. None of the schools here offer what she really wants. Her life is performing arts.
How do your kids even know their ranking amongst the class? Is that something that some schools publish to the students? Because I've never seen it. I don't even know what my ranking was when I graduated HS. I know what my GPA was, but I have no clue where that ranked me amongst the 200+ students in my class.

It seems like a dumb thing for either one of them to brag about to begin with. I would probably have told them both to shut up about it and I don't want to hear about rankings any more from either of them.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lol.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:45 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:40 pm My SS is 15. He seems to have two modes. Sweet and Caring or obnoxious and rude. There doesn't seem to be an in between.

How do your kids even know their ranking amongst the class? Is that something that some schools publish to the students? Because I've never seen it. I don't even know what my ranking was when I graduated HS. I know what my GPA was, but I have no clue where that ranked me amongst the 200+ students in my class.

It seems like a dumb thing for either one of them to brag about to begin with. I would probably have told them both to shut up about it and I don't want to hear about rankings any more from either of them.

Rankings are a big thing in many schools. They can be important when university admmisions offices are looking at admissions. They can tip the scales with some scholarships.

I can't understand why any parent would be upset over their own kids discussing their rankings. It means the children are taking school and their future seriously.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I would remind both kids that it's great to be proud of their accomplishments but that there's always someone smarter than you, prettier than you, richer than you, etc.,
Locked Previous topicNext topic