Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians

handy0318
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I read an interesting article in The Atlantic about changing religious perspectives in Western Europe and America.

Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
A new study shows how poorly we understand the beliefs of people who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular.
by Sigal Samuel
Americans are deeply religious people—and atheists are no exception. Western Europeans are deeply secular people—and Christians are no exception.

These twin statements are generalizations, but they capture the essence of a fascinating finding in a new study about Christian identity in Western Europe. By surveying almost 25,000 people in 15 countries in the region, and comparing the results with data previously gathered in the U.S., the Pew Research Center discovered three things.

First, researchers confirmed the widely known fact that, overall, Americans are much more religious than Western Europeans. They gauged religious commitment using standard questions, including “Do you believe in God with absolute certainty?” and “Do you pray daily?”

Second, the researchers found that American “nones”—those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular—are more religious than European nones. The notion that religiously unaffiliated people can be religious at all may seem contradictory, but if you disaffiliate from organized religion it does not necessarily mean you’ve sworn off belief in God, say, or prayer.

The third finding reported in the study is by far the most striking. As it turns out, “American ‘nones’ are as religious as—or even more religious than—Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany, and the U.K.”

As a Christian I can relate well to being secular...I'm pretty secular myself. I only go to church weekly to do my job as a church secretary and that's not on Sunday. There are a few times a year, we go as a family... Easter (though not this past Easter) and we're going together on the 10th so my daughter can let everyone see her new baby....

Other than that, I'm not too religious at all. Absolutely believe in Christ, to be sure, and I do read and study the Bible... But, I don't view myself as a religious person. I'm much more likely to be listening to Counting Crows than Casting Crowns (though they are a good band.)

I also found it very interesting that there are now Atheist Churches... Serving the deep need of people for community, "worship" and communal study. It's church, without God. Singing together, and studying morality, without a belief in a diety. I hadn't heard of Atheist Churches before this article, but it makes sense to me. Church is "family" in a way a club rarely is. I can see the need for people to tap into the unifying experience of church, even if they don't believe in God....especially here in America, where going to church is such a common experience. I also know that many atheists and agnostics go to Christian churches, for that sense of community, or out of family obligation.

I'm curious about what especially atheists and agnostics think of this? Would you describe yourself as a "religious" atheist or agnostic...someone who prays daily, but not to a recognized God per se? Would you consider going to an atheist church?

One thing is clear... the times, they are a'changing...and religion and how people think of it is changing too!
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd go to an atheist church... I've often thought of opening a humanist church, more for the social aspect.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CS Lewis said in The Great Divorce that sometimes those who profess to hate goodness are sometimes closer to it than those who embrace it. I think many atheists just dislike organized religion or can't conceive of a supreme being that allows so such suffering while begging for worship. It doesn't mean they're not searching for meaning or why we're here.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Atheism means you do not believe in God and religion. If you practice any religion you are not an atheist.
...MyLove...

Unread post

Human beings are designed by God. We are designed to worship.
Cynnie22
Peon

Unread post

the researchers found that American “nones”—those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular—are more religious than European nones. The notion that religiously unaffiliated people can be religious at all may seem contradictory, but if you disaffiliate from organized religion it does not necessarily mean you’ve sworn off belief in God, say, or prayer.

^^I don't' get this part. An atheist wouldn't believe in God and would have no one to pray for. Not sure what typo the say was meant to be.
I could see an atheist studying the Bible or scholarly reasons.

I know a lot of folks who passively believe in God but don't pray, study the Bible, or attend church. They identify as Christians but not a particular denomination. I think it's more a cultural thing than a spiritual or religious thing.
Deleted User 114

Unread post

Hi MrsHandy.. : ) Thank you for sharing this!
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. Atheists are not defined as not belonging to any organized religion-they are defined as not believing in God hence not practicing religion.
handy0318
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I think the key to understanding the author's message here is that atheists, agnostics or nothing in particular are grouped together. The message being that atheists would have no belief in God but could still desire coming together with other like minded people to encourage, exhort, educate and be in community with. A "church" without gods or spirituality. Those who are agnostic or nothing in particular might want to be completely disaffiliated from organized religion, but still believe in a higher power, a specific God (like Jesus) or just a spiritual force...and pray to that power, being or force.
I would be surprised at an atheist who would pray as the very definition of atheism is a lack of belief in any particular spiritual entity. But I personally know agnostics and what the article describes as "nones" who do pray.

I'm glad there are some commenting on this post. I posted it, then went on a two week vacation and totally ignored it. :roll:
Cynnie22 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am the researchers found that American “nones”—those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular—are more religious than European nones. The notion that religiously unaffiliated people can be religious at all may seem contradictory, but if you disaffiliate from organized religion it does not necessarily mean you’ve sworn off belief in God, say, or prayer.

^^I don't' get this part. An atheist wouldn't believe in God and would have no one to pray for. Not sure what typo the say was meant to be.
I could see an atheist studying the Bible or scholarly reasons.

I know a lot of folks who passively believe in God but don't pray, study the Bible, or attend church. They identify as Christians but not a particular denomination. I think it's more a cultural thing than a spiritual or religious thing.
handy0318
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I'm glad you appreciate it. I thought it interesting.
MiaBella wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:20 am Hi MrsHandy.. : ) Thank you for sharing this!
Locked Previous topicNext topic